Chapter ThirtyFive

Becca

I stood there blinking dumbly at the ample crowd stood before me singing Happy Birthday in perfect unison. To say that I was amazed or stunned would be an understatement, I actually had no idea how to react to a surprise such as this. Almost everyone I knew was in this very room with a beaming smile, dressed quite formally and ready to celebrate what was left of my birthday.

I gave a fake smile and thanked everyone once they were done. I squeezed Ty's hand firmly and he laughed, knowing full well how aggravated I was with him at this very moment. Music played loudly in the background from the stereo and people gradually moved to the middle of the room to dance, whilst others stayed seated and continued to engage in conversation. I spun around to peer at Tyreece who carried that damn smug smile on his face.

"What the hell is this?" I asked him.

"What does it look like?" His grin widened. It was obvious that he was amused at my slight irritation, if anything he thoroughly enjoyed it. I made a mental note to get back at him for this later on.

"Becc's!" I turned around to see Chris and Grace approaching. I gave a little wave.

"Happy birthday," Grace beamed. She handed me a small tightly-wrapped present and smiled.

"From the both of us," Chris said.

"From me. Chris had no money," Grace corrected. He gave her a look and I laughed.

"You didn't have to," I said.

Chris tutted in annoyance. "Be quiet and gimme a hug man." I stepped forward and we embraced briefly. He gave me a light kiss on the cheek then looked at Tyreece. "You two together now?" he asked.

"Yeah." To prove a point Ty wrapped a protective arm around me.

Chris noticed the action and smiled. "Look after her," he warned. Tyreece nodded and he gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder before placing his arm around Grace and walking off.

I admired their relationship, the way they were both lovers and friends. Able to make jokes with each other, yet still committed with strong feelings. That was the kind of thing I craved for more than anything. I realised Ty's hand was no longer connected to mine and looked to see he had literally disappeared, and was nowhere to be seen. I know he's a fast runner and all that, but pulling this kind of stunt was just ridiculous.

I shrugged and walked around to greet the remaining people in the room. Even some college people were here, ones I've never spoken to in my entire life. I didn't actually mind though. I watched my cousins as they each danced with a friend in the middle of the room to the music, it made me laugh how they were able to do such a thing so quickly yet I've only been here 5 minutes. Soon I was approached by Brooklyn and Natalie, who were wearing similar dresses and carrying the same cheesy smile. They both looked gorgeous nonetheless.

"Happy birthday!" they exclaimed over the thumping music. I smiled and hugged them both.

"Thanks dumplings."

"Watch you though. You look stunning!" Natalie spun me around to view my dress. I laughed and shook my head at her foolishness.

"Finally 18. Feel any different?" Brooks asked.

I shrugged. "Not really."

They both rolled their eyes. It was odd the way they performed the same actions, they may as well be twins.

"Well Miss 18, today is your day." Natalie winked. The realisation suddenly hit me and I was brought back to our previous phone conversation; I told her I planned to do nothing today. It was clear she had gotten her own way...and she loved it.