Chap. 12

Alexander's POV

"Dude. What the hell do we do." I say, putting my head on the dash, sighing.

"Peggy will understand- but who the hell is your 'girlfri-' MARIA." John smiles.

"They hate me." I reply.

He nods slowly, driving past the school.

"Where're we going?" I ask, confusion plastered all over my face.

"Picking up your laptop and buying you a backpack." He responds casually.

"Jo-Laurens. You are killing me." I state, blushing at nearly calling him 'John'.

"Don't call me John." is all he says, continuing to drive. I nod.

"Why does your family call you 'Jack' and 'Jacky'?" I ask, making small talk.

He shrugs, "I dunno." signalling the end of the conversation.

I sigh, playing games on my phone. After five minutes, Laurens gets out and walks into a store. I just sit, replaying the conversation. I fucked up.

He comes back, placing a new laptop box onto my lap. He keeps driving for a few minutes. This time, he makes me go into the store with him.

-

"What backpack?" Laurens asks.

"Whatever one is fine with me." I reply, obviously bored.

"Pink it is-"

"Nope. Just get black or gray or some shit." I say.

"Fine... cunt." He whispers the last word.

"I heard that, Laurens." I state before following him to the cash register.

-

We finally arrive to school at 7:10. We still had 10 minutes. I left Laurens once I saw TJ.

John's POV

I sigh, watching Hamilton rush towards Jefferson, like a dog seeing his owner again after a week. Honestly, pretty similar situation.

I see Pegs and walk over to her on the bench. She was holding hands with Maria.

"Hate to disturb you, but I have some tea." They both look at me wide-eyed, ushering me to spill.

"So Hamilton needed a place to stay. I said he could come over since my mom likes me talking to people or something. I buy him so much shit. Clothes and a fucking laptop. I gave him a place to stay. And he rushes over to Jefferson like a lost dog." I say, getting angrier with every word.

They nod, then Peggy speaks, "You like him." 

"I do not." I scoff, annoyed.

"If you didn't like him, you wouldn't care. You're jealous." Maria adds.

"Whatever. Also, I need you girls." I say quickly, "He mentions having a girlfriend so my father didn't think he was gay. To save my ass, I said I did as well. I said it was you, Peggy. And Hamilton needs a girl." 

"I'm there for you, but not Hamilton." Maria states. "I know your dad would kill you if he found out Hamilton was lying and you did nothing."

I nod, giving them both a big hug.

-

The entire day, Hamilton ignores me.

-

At the end of the day, I wait about 5 minutes in my car, my head on the steering wheel. Peggy and Maria are in the back. I suddenly hear a knock on the door. I look up, Hamilton looking scared for his life. I quickly unlock the door. He sits down and suddenly demands, "Drive. Now."

Confused and shocked, I pull out of the school's parking lot and start home.

"What the hell is it, Hamilton?" I say, annoyed.

"Jefferson's after me." He states.

"What the hell do you mean?" 

"H-he saw me get out of your car. He's pissed." He says once more.

"That's why you ignored me?" I ask.

"Yeah- but he saw me not teasing you, so he's even more pissed." I nod at his answer.

He looks at me. Oh.

His lip was cut and he had a bruise below it.

"Shit." I mutter quietly.

"Your dad?" He asks.

"'Father', but yes. He will see you and think you're getting into fights. He will likely kick you out. I have concealer- don't ask- in my room. Just run up to the room. You too, girls." I respond.

-

We get home and I open the door.

"Go." I whisper.

All 4 of us rush up the stairs into my room.

One knock. Three knocks. Two knocks.

"Martha come in please."

She rushes in and gives Hamilton a hug. "I saw your bruise." She whispers.

He looks confused and shocks, but hugs her back, mouthing random words and curses to us.

We all stifle laughs and I grab my make-up bag. Peggy, Maria, and Martha help me quickly cover up his cuts and bruises.

Hamilton looks in the mirror, confusion on his face.

"How the hell did you do this?" He asks, stuttering slightly.

"The magic of make-up, my dear." Maria says, flipping her hair.

We begin to laugh loudly, but a loud noise is heard. 

My father comes into the room, practically breaking my door. 

"Wow, Alexander, you certainly are lucky." He says, looking Maria up and down seductively.

We all sit there, shocked, at my father's actions. What the fuck.

Hamilton quickly wraps his arm around Maria, "Sorry, sir, but this one's mine." He gives a polite smile. Father scoffs and walks out, slamming the door.

We all look around at each other. Hamilton quickly lets go of Maria.

"Maria, I'm sorry- I just really needed to do something so he wouldn't d-" Hamilton starts.

"Sh... Thanks, Hamilton. It worked." She gave a soft smile.

"Oh my God Hamilton- I- I couldn't do anything and I was scared to hold her because Henry is a dick and I really wanted to protect her but I couldn't do anything. If you didn't do that she would be-be attacked by Henry..." Peggy mutters quickly, tears streaming down her face.

Maria and I hug her tightly. Martha comes over and hugs her as well.

-

It was 8:00 and we all dressed formally for dinner tonight. Whenever we have guests, we have to dress up. That's another rule.

Maria hesitantly holds Hamilton's hand, and Peggy and I hold hands tightly. We walk down and take seats next to each other. Peggy knows the dinner rules, but I had to explain them to Maria.

-

Dinner wasn't terrible, and Father bought every second of it. I even kissed Peggy's cheek, which she didn't mind. We have been friend for years, both of us gay. We hug and kiss each other's cheeks a lot. Maria and Hamilton were definitely much more awkward.

-

The girls eventually leave, Eliza picking them up.

My family loads into their van soon after, leaving 'Hammy' and I.

I walk into my room and start to change when Hamilton walks in.

"Are you kidding me, Hamilton." I groan, just in my boxers. Honestly, I didn't care. It's like the locker rooms in school.

a/n hey it's hint 2 go to the first chapter of the longest book i have so far!