Chap. 10

John's POV

My phone buzzes in my pocket as I walk up the stairs. I take my phone out once I get onto my bed.

Unknown: Hi, Laurens, it's Hamilton. I know I'm the last person you would want to talk to, but I'm in a bit of a mess. You can say no now, but text me if you think you could.

I sigh loudly.

John: Hamilton, the hell do you want and how the fuck did you get my number?

Hamilton: I'm in a mess. I'm sorry i didnt take your offer before, but you were right. jefferson is a cunt.

I laugh out loud, continuing to read his text.

He wont let me crash at his place. He is being bitch. i got ur number from madison, hes so much nicer than the others- how the hell did he get into the shitty group.

I respond almost immediately-

John: I can ask if you can come over.

Hamilton: thankyouthankyouthankyou so fucking much- how can i repay you?

John: i didnt say you could yet, you motherfucker. just dont bother me too much and we should have a deal. 

Hamilton: yes sir *salutes*

John: youre a dork.

"Mom!" I say, rushing downstairs to the living room. "Can my friend crash with us for a while? He is kinda... homeless right now. He's being transferred to a new foster home. It isn't in the school district though, so he wants to wait until he can move in somewhere around here." I gag mentally as I say 'friend'.

She nods quickly, "Of course! What's his name?"

"Hamilton- Alexander Hamilton."

She nods yet again as I rush upstairs.

John: you can- where are you. i can pick u up now.

Hamilton: idk lmao just add my phone number into the "find my phone" shit.

I quickly put his number into the app. He's already 30 minutes away- Jesus Christ.

I grab my coat back on as I run downstairs. "Be back in an hour- gotta go." I say in one quick breath.

I type the location into my GPS on my car.

-

I see him on a bench, drinking a coffee. There's another one in his hand.

He notices me and his eyes light up for a quick second, then he just smiles. "I didn't know what kind of coffee you liked so I just assumed you like sweet shit so I got you a caramel frappuccino." He says politely, "It's the least I could do." He hands me the drink.

"Thanks." Is all I say as I get back into my new silver car. Hamilton looks impressed, but tries not to show it. Martha and I can read people like books- it's a Laurens thing, I guess.

He got into the passenger seat. He was shivering, considering October was starting. It's 56°F, so I assume he's originally from a warmer place, like myself. I quickly turn on the seat warmers, and he immediately begins to relax.

"I hope I'm not a burden." I hear him mutter, fiddling his thumbs.

"Nah, you're good. My mom was super excited, hearing I was bring a 'friend' home." I stifle a laugh, but he just sighs. "Wanna explain why you are in foster care in the first place?" I ask.

He goes stiff, "No." is all he says. He grabs his phone, doing who-knows-what.

The drive was quiet- uncomfortable silence.

I get home, and I swear I see his jaw drop quickly, before redeeming himself. "Nice house." He says quietly. I get out of the car and he follows my lead. I open the door before yelling, "I'm home!"

Martha suddenly rushes down the stair and hugs me. I pick her up, giving her a peck on her head. "Hey kiddo. This is Alexander Hamilton." Her mouth begins to drop, knowing he bullies me. I glare at her quickly. She knows this means to shut up.

She reaches out her hand, shaking Hamilton's hand. "Hello. My name is Martha, John's little sister. I'm the oldest of my siblings, besides John of course." She says formally.

He nods, "Nice to meet you, Martha." He flashes a soft smile.

"Okay Martha, I need the others to meet him." I say, ruffling her hair. 

Hamilton follows me as I lead him up the stairs. I knock on all of the kids' doors. Henry Jr, James, and Mary come out of their rooms, all introducing themselves before hiding back into their rooms. I knock on my parents' door. 

Mom opens the door, her face lighting up at the kid beside me, "Alexander Hamilton, I presume? I'm John's mom. Call me Eleanor, please." She shakes his hand and he nods politely. "John, dad won't be home until late. He's working until 12 in the morning. Also, I found... his... mattress. I put it in your room and there are sheets and blankets on the mattress. Love you, dear." Mother cringes at the word 'him'. We know who that is. I nodded and said a quick thanks, leading Hamilton to my room. No, not like that.

He walked in, his jaw dropping. He doesn't hide it.

"Wow. It's really pretty." He mutters. I realize something quickly.

"Where's your stuff?"

"I uh- don't have much." He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. "It was my foster dad's, he wanted it all back."

I nod in response. "I can take you shopping tonight. It's only 5." I offer.

"Laurens, you don't need to do that. I'm already living with you for who-knows-how-long." 

"Hamilton, I don't mind. As you can tell, we aren't suffering financially." I say, moving my hand towards everything I own. "I have extra cash anyways- from my summer job."

He sighs. "Fine, asshole."

I smile, "You're welcome, cunt."