Chap. 8

TW// mention of suicide!

John's POV

I run up to Peggy as fast as my legs can carry me. I tackle her into a hug.

"Pegs, what happened? Who do I have to beat up?" I say quickly.

"M-Maria..." She manages to say between sobs. I hold her closer, looking at Eliza or Angie to elaborate. 

"Maria was making out with James right in front of her locker."

Peggy nods, hugging me tighter. I lift her up, my arms hugging her waist while she hugs my neck, her head in my shoulder, continuing to sob. Her legs wrap around my waist (PLATONIC- WE ARE FUCKING GAY) as I carry her to a bench, she sits on my lap, stilling crying into my shoulder.

"How about I go talk to her?"

She whimpers softly, give a little nod. I usher her sisters over, and the sit to comfort her while I go beat the shit out of Maria- even though she's a girl, she can't hurt my friends like that. Or I could beat the shit out of James.

I hear Maria crying in the girls' bathroom. I sigh, rushing into the bathroom. First of all, it smells so much better and is obviously cleaner. Lucky.

I grab Maria's hand and lead her to the bench near the windows in the hallway. I peak out, and I can see Peggy. She sees me as well. She nods, determination in her face. I look at Maria.

"Listen, Maria. Whatever the hell you did to Peggy broke her into pieces. The first thing I see when I walk onto the school-grounds in Peggy crying into Angelica's dress. Whatever the hell you get is what you deserve. Watch your back." I say, standing up.

She grabs my wrist and forces me to sit next to her. I raise an eyebrow as she cries into my side. I wrap an arm around her, being the good person I am. She starts her story once she catches her breath.

"James- James Reynolds. He-made me. He want-wants me to- hurt people- so they hate me. He- wants me all to himself. Bu-But I don't l-like him... a-at all. I'm in- in love w-with Peggy." She sobs more.

"Then leave him, Maria."

"I- can't! He- he has bl-blackmail. He has pictures of- of my ex and I ki-kissing. He sa-said he would- te-text my pa-parent that. They- told me that- that if I was gay, they- they would kill me..." She stops sobbing. She looks genuinely scared. I nod, hugging her tightly.

"Hows about we go talk to Peggy about this?" I suggest.

She nods eagerly, crawling over me and running out of the school.

I follow close behind her, Eliza and Angie looking furious. Peggy was still crying.

I force myself in front of Maria, pushing her back a bit. I sit next to Peggy.

"Listen, Pegs, Maria needs to tell you something. You know I can read people pretty well- I trust her on this." She nods hesitantly. 

"Peggy... I'm so so so sorry. Just listen, please?" Maria pleads, Peggy nodding.

"It- it was James," Maria whispers, "He has blackmail- it's not bad, I swear to God. I have that exact photo on my phone, if ya wanna see it... He basically said that- he could turn me straight. He said that he wanted me to hurt everyone I ever talked to, so he could have me to himself. He-he said he would use the blackmail if I didn't agree." Maria explains. Peggy has tears prickling the corners of her eyes, nodding.

"C-can I see... the picture?" Peggy asks, tilting her head, like a puppy.

Maria quickly nods, grabbing her phone. She shows everyone the picture of her and her ex, Jasmine. Peggy looks confused, "How is this blackmail?" 

Maria starts, "My entire family is extremely homophobic. My little brother was gay... they- they sent them away to a conversion camp, but he- he never came home... we got a letter a few days after he was supposed to come home, stating he committed suicide the day before he was said to leave..." Maria has a few tears roll down her cheeks, landing on the grass. Everyone looks at her, shocked. Terrified.

Peggy quickly speaks up, "Daddy would gladly invite you into our home, right?" She looked at her sisters. The both nod eagerly. "If- if they get mad, come to my house. We have a few spare rooms. Daddy knows I'm gay. He's totally okay with it." 

Maria nods, hugging Peggy. Maria gives Peggy a soft kiss on her lips.

Peggy's POV

She kissed me. Those.. those butterflies and fireworks came back. I melted into her soft lips. I pull away, blushing profusely. I laugh quickly. "We... we should beat Reynolds up." Everyone gives a soft laugh, encouraging my innocent mind to go the the 'dark side'. 

Everyone stands up and goes inside the building once the first bell goes off.

-

John's POV

In writing, Hamilton looks depressed. Empty.

He sits next to me, not even acknowledging me. I tap his desk, forcing him to look up at me.

"What?" He says, no emotion shown.

"What the heck is wrong with you, Hamilton?" I ask.

He gives a weak shrug, going back to typing on his laptop. I shake my head, continuing my turtle drawing.

He sighs, "Do you really wanna know?" 

I nod, eager to learn what happened.

"I'm back in the foster program." He shrugs while typing his essay for who-knows-what.

I give a nod. "You gonna stay in the school?" I ask.

"Not sure. It's a gamble." He replies swiftly.

I nod again. I feel my eyes get glossy. I see him stifle a laugh, "You gonna miss meeee?" He teases. I glare at him with tears threatening to spill.

"No, dipshit." I reply, my voice cracking subtly, but he noticed. I sigh, "Not gonna lie, but you are the only person who get's me insanely pissed off. It's, I dunno..." I trail off.

"Oh- you like me teasing youuu?" He smirks.

"No, fucker. It just reminds me of my older brother. He would piss me off, all in fun, until one day... he never... came home..." I whisper the last part, my voice shaky and my face red.

Alexander's POV

he never... came home...

That. That hit close to me. My father did the same. He left, and never came home.