Chapter 7 Part II

Cameron

I knew we were eventually going to need to have this conversation, but I was really hoping it would be a little further down the road, like never. I haven't made up my mind exactly what to tell her. I want to protect her from all the bad memories and events in our lives, but I guess that isn't possible. I just want Jessie to be able to start from scratch and have a normal life. I suppose I thought that could happen when she woke up and couldn't remember anything. I don't know how to tell her that our parents were executed right in front of us and the people who did it forced us- and every other child in the village- to become slaves. I thought I could protect her from those horrible memories, but I guess that's why they say the past can never stay hidden.

Most days I wish I couldn't remember the past, especially the day Malachi killed our parents. At least I was able to keep Jessie from seeing it happen. I don't regret the silent promise I made to my parents all those years ago but some days I wonder what it would have been like to have a normal life.

The only other person here in the states that knows the whole truth is Alex, and she promised not to tell her everything until after she finished college. Although after the conversation the other day with Alex at the hospital, I'm not a hundred percent sure she won't crack and tell Jessie everything. Why does everything in our lives have to be so complicated? I guess all I can hope is that Jessie doesn't ask too many questions and I can keep most of the bad things from her.

I know eventually she is going to ask the hard questions about our past, but I'm not ready for them just yet. I also hope she isn't going to start asking about relationships because I know next to zero about them, since they were forbidden in Malachi's camp. I am brought back to reality when I hear Jessie screaming my name.