Chapter Ten

Jessie

I lay in bed flipping the television channels until I come across a channel that has a UFC fight on it. The commentators are talking about how much some of the top fighters make per fight and I am amazed. I guess I didn't really think about fighting being something that the fighter could actually make money doing and it got my attention. The fact is I have basically been doing exactly what they were getting paid to do on national television for the last twelve years and the only thing I got out of winning was that I got to live.

When the doc came out of the shower and saw what I was watching she said, "Really, Jessie, this is what you decided to watch. Didn't you get enough of fighting when you were Malachi's slave?"

"Well, yes and no."

"What on earth does that mean?"

"Well when I was a slave Malachi was the one making money not me, on here it's the fighter that is making the money along with becoming a household name."

"Jessie, is that something you want to become, a household name all from hurting someone else."

"Doc, you have to realize fighting is all I really know and from what Cameron tells me I'm damn good at it and somewhat enjoyed it. So if down the road, it is something that I can make money doing I will have to think about it. After all, I do enjoy the adrenaline rush I get from fighting."

"I don't know if I like the idea of you fighting again, even if it is for a legitimate business. The fact that you have problems controlling your anger now bothers me and if you start fighting what happens if you lose control and really hurt someone. It's not like in South Africa, there are rules to these fights. Maybe you could find another way to get you adrenaline fix, other than fighting. You seem to be pretty good at basketball from what I have seen."

"Yeah it's ok but it is nothing like fighting. What if fighting was an outlet for my anger and if I fight, I may be able to control my anger better because I an outlet for it, or maybe I will look for another sport where I can still get that rush of adrenaline."

"I don't know Jess, I think right now you should concentrate on finding another outlet. Alright? Jessie go get a shower and I will see what I have to make for breakfast."

"Ok, doc."

When I get out of the shower, she has my clothes from yesterday on the bed and they were clean. While getting dressed, I get a whiff of bacon cooking. As I walk in I see the doc cooking away. She has pancakes, bacon and eggs.

I say from the doorway, "Good morning, I could definitely get used to this!"

When she turns toward me she smiles and says, "Good morning, Jessie. Have a seat breakfast will be done in a second." She finishes up the bacon and set two plates on the table along with two glasses of orange juice.

"So..."

"So... what Jessie?"

"Should we talk about last night?"

"I don't know... what about it?"

"Um...well..."

She begins to laugh, "You really are adorable when you stutter!"

"Whatever, never mind."

"No it's ok Jessie, I had a really good time last night but remember it stays strictly between us and will not happen again in the near future."

"Sure, whatever you say but you didn't say it could never happen again so that's a plus." I said with my devious smile.

She just shook her head at me. "Jessie, there are some things we need to discuss and most of it you probably won't like but you need to know."