Chapter 5 Part V

Jessie

When I caught up to Amy, she was already talking to the cops. I just stood off to the side and let them talk. As I did, I glanced back at the room hoping to catch another glance at the doctor. When I did, I saw her and Cameron having a very heated conversation. I just couldn't hear what it was about. There is more to their relationship than they let on. I wonder if they are dating. That would be just my luck! Just as Amy was finishing with the detective, a man and women approached me. The couple looked me up and down like they were sizing me up. I didnt know them but if I had to guess, I would say they were Bens parents. They started yelling at me, saying things like I should be behind bars. I just stood there for a minute, dumbfounded.

Then I simply turned and walked away, just as I had done with their son. I took two steps before I felt a hand on my shoulder. I calmly asked him to remove his hand, but he didnt. He used it to spin me, so that I was facing him.

No one turns their back on me, especially some punk teenager who is new to town.

Wow, now I know where your son gets his manners. He basically said the same thing to me in the park. Ill tell you what I told him, just leave me alone! I said. Again, I started to walk away. He grabbed my shoulder again, and without turning around I yelled, I said keep your hands off me!

This got everyones attention! Before I knew what was happening, the doc is between me and Bens parents, with Amy and Cameron right there with her. The doc was pointing at the man and said, Keep your hands off her! If you have something to say, it should be said to one of the adults or the cops.

Then an officer got between them and introduced herself as Officer Edwards. She turned to Bens father and told him to calm down. His father then began telling the officer how she should be doing her job. He said that she should arrest me right now. I was tired of the whole thing and simply walked away to sit on a nearby bench so that I could let the grownups handle everything from here on out.

I sat back and listened while Bens asshole parents talked shit about me. I mean they dont know me; how can they say that Im a danger to everyone. I mean it was one fight and their son started it. Whatever, I dont care what they think!

I heard Amy speak louder than I had ever heard before and I focused on what she had to say. How the hell do you get off calling Jessie a monster and a danger to society? You dont know jack shit about her, or me for that matter. You also dont know your son very well either if you think he is an innocent party in this incident. Everyone that witnessed the fight other than your son and his two friends corroborate Jessies story that Ben started the fight. The only reason we are even having this conversation is because your son got his ass kicked by a girl and that makes him, and you look bad!

I must admit listening to Amy defend me to those idiots gave me a new respect for her. I mean, dont get me wrong, she has been great to us since we got here, but this made me realize that she really did have my back no matter what. Wow, I thought, she hasnt even heard my side of the story yet and she is defending me like she knows exactly what happened. Officer Edwards had apparently reached her limit with the arguing. She was trying to calm everyone down, but she couldnt get a word in. So, she pulled out her traffic whistle and gave it a good blow. You should have seen the look on everyones face! It worked though, all conversations came to a halt in the ER waiting room, and even the nurses were quiet.

Suddenly I had that feeling you get when someone is looking at you. I started looking around, and that was when I realized that someone was sitting beside me on the bench. I guess I made a startled face because the person started to laugh, thats when I realized it was Jay. Again, as I looked at him, he had the bluest eyes I have ever seen, his sandy blonde hair was long and pulled back in a ponytail with the side and back of his head shaved. I could get used to looking at this fine specimen. Im not quite sure how long I had been staring at him, but I assume it had been too long, because he began waving his hand in front of my face to get my attention. When I finally realized he was trying to get my attention, I turned a bright red from embarrassment and he began to laugh at me. Great, I have once again made myself look like a complete idiot.