Chapter 23

Jessie

A couple of weeks later, doc calls and says she will be home on Friday and that my friends and I should plan a surprise going away party for Cameron at her house. She also wants Izzy and I to see if we can locate Cassidys mom and invite her to the party, so she can be reunited with Cassidy. Luckily, it wasnt too hard to find Ms. Mendez. She was still living on the outskirts of town in an apartment over someones garage. We told her that the doc would like her to come to a surprise party at her house on Saturday, it was also lucky that she sort of knew the doc so she was inclined to come.

Friday after school the gang, including Dean, came over to the docs house and helped me decorate and order food for the party. I was to meet the docs plane around eleven pm and bring her back to the house. I was really nervous about seeing her. I mean I missed her and everything, but it seemed like I had moved on, but I wouldnt be sure until I saw her again.

Once the house was decorated, everyone left. Izzy wanted to stay but I told her that I would be fine. I think she kind of suspects something since I have kept in contact with the doc while she was out of the country. I told Izzy that I would call her as soon as I dropped the doc off at her house. At any rate, I was at the airport waiting when her plane landed. When the doors opened, and I saw her, it was like seeing her for the first time all over. All the feelings that I thought were gone were back the moment I looked into her hazel eyes and saw that thousand-watt smile. Shit! What the hell is wrong with me? I like Izzy a lot and things have gotten intense between us, but I cant deny the feelings I have for the doc. I must get my emotions under control! The doc has made it very clear that we can only be friends.

When she was about half way down the steps, someone else appeared in the doorway of the plane. It was Cassidy Mendez. She looked pretty much like I remembered her except her eyes were a bright steel grey instead of having the vacant dead eyes from the fight. She looked around and then down at the ground like she was scared.

I met the doc half way between the plane and the car, I just stood there looking at her. I didnt know whether to hug her or not, Lord knows I wanted to do that and more. Why am I having these thoughts again? Before I could say or do anything, she grabbed me in a big hug and it felt amazing. I wanted to stay in her arms forever, but I knew that couldnt happen. When she let go, she looked into my eyes and smiled. I said, Hey doc, it has been a while! You look great!

She replied, So do you Jessie. You look like you have been working out a lot since I have been gone.

Yeah, it helps me stay out of trouble. I say laughing.

She laughs with me, I guess you remember Cassidy? She says as Cassidy walks up beside her.

Yeah, but she looks a lot different than she did back then. She doesnt have dead eyes or look like a robot.

That was the effects of the drugs. They are out of her system now and so far, she hasnt shown any side effect. Cassidy this is Jessie, do you remember fighting her back in South Africa?

She replies, No maam, I dont remember most of the fights because of the drugs. I hope that I didnt hurt you Jessie.

I say, Wow, you dont remember almost killing me? How convenient.

The doc snaps at me, Jessie dont be mean, you know she didnt want to hurt you.

Do I? All I remember is getting almost beat to death and now all I remember is that fight and what has happened since I woke up. Im sorry if you think I am being mean butnever mind. Im sorry Cassidy. I know you were not in control back then, but it might take a while for me to get used to you being around.

Cassidy says, It is ok Jessie, I understand. For what it is worth, I am sorry!

Ok, well doc let me take you home. Where do I need to drop of Cassidy?