Chapter 5 Part II

Cameron

I spoke to the detective and they told me what happened, and that Bens parents wanted to press charges for assault and battery.

Amy shook her head and said, This is not good. His family is well connected in the community and the state, but I should be able to get it thrown out in court. If she acted in self-defense, it shouldnt be a problem and if the witnesses will testify to what they saw.

Cameron, what exactly did the cops tell you about what happened? Alex interrupted. From what I saw, Jessie was just defending herself. She tried to walk away, but the boy persisted and threw the ball at her when she turned her back to walk away. Then when she threw it back at him, he charged her. It just escalated after that. He is probably just embarrassed that he got his ass kicked by a girl in front of all his friends.

Hey doc, I thought you said you just happened to be passing by when you saw the fight? It seems you saw the whole incident, which means you had to have been watching for some time.

I was on my lunch break like I said and when I walked into the park I saw Jessie run past me and she looked upset, so when I saw her on the bench a little while later I was going to ask if she was okay, but before I could get there the boy was talking to her. I should have walked on over, but for some reason I didnt. I just watched. I didnt want to interrupt if she was making friends. Then the fight escalated so quickly, all I could do is break it up.

I spoke up, That is the general story that the witnesses relayed to the detectives at the scene. I agree with the Dr. I think that he and his family are embarrassed by the whole situation, so they are just trying to save face in the community.

Amy said, I should be able to get the charges dropped without going to trial if the witnesses dont change their story. If for some reason it does go to trial, can I count on you to testify as to what you saw?

Of course, I will, but please call me Alex. I feel like we all know one another well enough by now to be on first name basis. Dont you? Jessie has been through enough and doesnt need all of this.