Chapter 32

Alex

After I finish telling the girls the story of my past, I tell them I have a few calls to make and head out to the back porch. I hear them head down to the basement. When 6:30 rolls around I find the girls showered and ready to go. Cass says that Lexie will meet us there.

Once inside, Dean shows us back to a private room where we discuss what we need to find out from Shawn. A few minutes before seven, a hostess brings Shawn back to where we are. I introduce myself, as well as the others. After the introductions are out of the way, I ask, SoShawn can you please explain what happened the night of the fight?

She replies, Sure, but first let me just say, I am very sorry! They had my baby sister and they said they would kill her if I didnt enter the fight and pay them the money my dad owed them.

Slow down, Shawn. It is ok. We want to help. Who is they?

I dont really know. I was contacted by text with a picture of my sister tied to a chair with a gag in her mouth. The message said pay up or she dies. I didnt know what or who it was from, so I replied and then received a phone call. The guy on the phone said that my dad owed them a lot of money and they knew I was entering the tournament. My dad owed them fifty thousand-dollars, so I had to come in at least second to be able to pay. Then they told me that, if I tapped out they would still kill her. I dont know why. I mean they wouldve still gotten their money, but I was afraid, so I did what they said. After the match, once I was out of the ring I was approached by two guys. They gave me a bank account number to give to Bennie so that the prize money could be transferred to them. Once that was done, they started asking questions about Jessie. They saw me talking to her after the fight and wanted to know what I knew about her. I told them I just knew her from the fights and they said if I didnt find out her name I would never see my sister again. So, I had to give them her name. They made a call to a third guy who brought my sister to me and then I overheard them say that the boss would pay big money on any information about Jessie. Something about he didnt really believe she was dead and if they could give him proof they would be set. Thats when I remembered the card Jessie gave me, so I tried to warn her.

I think for a minute before saying, So you have no idea who these guys are or where they came from?

Shawn just shakes her head no and says, I even asked my dad and he told me to leave it alone. He wouldnt even tell me what he placed the bets on to get in so deep.

Alright, one last thing. Have you ever heard the name Malachi before?

No, why?

Never mind, thanks for meeting with us.

Sure, no problem. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Jessie

After hearing Shawns story, I realize she wasnt going to be any help. She was just as clueless as the rest of us. I looked at the doc, who was deep in thought. I could tell because of the wrinkles between her eyes, they were always present when she was thinking. I speak up, Sowhat now doc?

She replies, I dont know yet, Jessie. I need to make some phone calls and see what I can find out. Tomorrow is a school day so you all should get home and get some rest. Why dont all of you meet me at my house after school and maybe by then I will know something more.

Lexie and I have basketball practice after school. We should be done around 6. How about I stop and get pizza after practice and then meet at your house?

Cass says, Yeah, I have wrestling until 6 also.

Alex replies, Jess, remember you are not leaving my sight so that means no practice, as well as, no school. Ok, Lexie and Cass lets meet at 6 and make sure Dean and Jay come as well.