Chapter Seven Part I (edited)

Jessie

On the walk home, I try to come up with a way to talk to Cameron about everything. I'm not sure why, but it just feels a little awkward to talk to my brother about the feelings I'm having toward the doc. Maybe I should talk to Amy first, even though I don't know her that well. Yet maybe it would be easier, since she is a girl also. I don't know! One thing I do know is that I need to ask Cameron about his relationship with the Doc. When I get home, I see that Cameron and Amy are sitting out back with a fire going in the pit, so I go grab a shower to have more time to think about if I want to have this conversation with Cam or not.

After my shower, I walk outside and see them both still sitting by the fire, drinking beer. I grab a chair from the deck and join them by the fire. I really wanted to talk to Cameron about his relationship with the doc, but figure now is not the right time. So instead, I decide to ask him about what I was like before I woke up in the hospital.

When I sit down, Cameron looks at me and says, "You are home late. Where have you been?"

"I was at the park shooting basketballs with Jay, then I ran into the doc and we talked for a bit. I've been home for a good thirty minutes though, I took a shower before coming out."

"Oh really, who is this Jay? Does he happen to be that boy that you were staring at as he was leaving the hospital?" he asks and then both began laughing.

I just cut my eyes at them, which makes them laugh harder. "I am so glad that I seem to be able to amuse everyone without even trying. I'm about tired of everyone laughing at me!" I get up and start to walk back to the house. Forget it, I will just figure everything out on my own.

Cameron yells, "Wait, I'm sorry, what's wrong?"

"Nothing just forget it. I'm going to bed."

"No, come back and sit and tell me what is wrong. I can tell you have something weighing on your mind by the look you have on your face. Not to mention the fact you are so quick to anger."

"Forget it!"

I open the door to the house and head in. I go to the fridge to grab a snack and a drink before heading up to my room for the night. When I close the fridge door, there is Cameron.

"What do you want?" I say.

"Come back outside and talk to us, please."

"Why? So you can make fun of me some more!? No thanks, I think I will pass."

"Come on Jessie, really, I want to know what is wrong. I want to help."

"Whatever Cameron, I think I will just sleep on it."

"Jessie, you know that I want to help. I know you don't remember this but growing up we had this thing where we wouldn't go to sleep until we talked out anything that was bothering us. Sometimes we would stay up all night talking, which always got us in trouble because we would have a horrible day training the next day and would end up having to run for hours as punishment. So, what do you say, will you come back out and talk to us?"

"Fine, but only because I want to know more about my past and that is the first time you have really told me anything about it except for the bare minimum you told me at the hospital."

"Ok then, bring your drink and sandwich and join us. We can talk it out and figure out a way to solve whatever problems you are having."

So, I followed him back out and sat down by the fire. I sat there and watched the flames and tried to figure out what to say. Finally, I just said, "Yes, just so you know, Jay is the guy from the hospital and even though he is hot, I am not interested in him like that. We are friends, nothing more. Although I'm so confused about everything, since I woke up in that stupid hospital, I feel like a two-year-old!"

"What do you mean by that?" Cameron asked.

"I mean I have no idea what I'm feeling most of the time and on top of that I have no clue how to interact with people. It's like I have been living in a cave by myself for the last seventeen years, everything is just so confusing."

Cameron becomes very quiet and is just staring into the fire like he is trying to figure out what to say or how to say something. Amy chose this quiet time to ask me if I would like her to leave us alone, so we could talk.

"No, it's fine. I figure you would probably benefit from hearing this as much as I would, since you are stuck with me. I guess you should probably know what you are in for once Cameron leaves for the army. Besides you may be able to help me more than him, anyway." I say with a smirk.

Amy replies, "As long as you are okay with me staying, I would like very much to hear what you have to say and see if I can help. Also, know that I am here for you no matter your past or whatever the future holds."

"I really appreciate that, Amy."