Chapter 28

Jessie

Once we are out of the tunnels and loaded into the docs car, she tells us the story we are to use when asked. She also informs us that she is taking us to the hospital back in town where she works because it will also make it easier to explain. We all agree on the story and the doc starts the car. I am in a zone in my head, where I have so much shit running through my brain that I don't know which way is up. I guess I am staring out into space because I feel the electrical shock that can only be the doc touching me. When I look up she gives me a reassuring half smile, in that moment I feel like things may just work out. I just hope that Izzy is ok and that I can get her back. I also think, I dread the conversation we are going to have once everyone has been checked out at the hospital.

The ride back to Blue Springs was a quiet one. Everyone seemed to be lost in their own thoughts. When I looked in the back seat, I saw that Lexie was snuggled into Cassidy and Dean was sleeping against the window. How he could sleep, I don't know. By the time we pulled up to the hospital, it was around five am. When we walked in, the doc told the nurse at the desk that we would be in exam room one and to have the resident on call to come back ASAP.

About five minutes later, a very young-looking doctor came into the room. He looked at Alex and ask, What do we have here, Dr. Imari?

She replied, Dr. Foster, these are some friends of mine who acted stupidly and need to be evaluated for their injuries.

He laughed and said, Ok what happened and who wants to go first?

Alex answers, Those two were in a four-wheeler wreck. They thought it was a good idea to go riding in the dark and hit a ditch. Start with Lexie so that when she is cleared, she can call her mom to come pick them up.

Alright Lexie, can you tell me what happened and what hurts?

Lexie replies, Like Alex said Dean hit a ditch with the four-wheeler and when Cass swerved to miss the ditch I was thrown off. I was wearing a helmet but hit my head pretty hard on a rock. They tell me I was unconscious for a little while and Alex thinks I may have a concussion. Dr. Foster examines her and confirms she does have a mild concussion, but it should cause any problems other than a slight headache. Lexie thanks him and she and Cass leave the room to go call their parents.

Dr. Foster then moves on to Dean. Again, he asks, Can you tell me what happened and what hurts?

Dean replies, Like both Lexie and Alex said, we were riding, and I hit a ditch because it was too dark and I didnt see it. Im not sure exactly what happened after that. When I woke up Alex was there.

Dr. Foster looks at Alex and asks, What did you find when you examined him?

She replies, The best I could tell is maybe a few bruised ribs, a slight concussion and other scrapes and bruises.

Alright Dean lets take a look. He did an in-depth exam and confirmed what the doc had said. He told Dean to just take it easy for a few days. Then Dean left to join the others.

Alex turned to me and said, Your turn Jessie.

I replied, Why? I wasnt in the wreck.

She smiled and said, Just humor me, would you?

Fine, whatever doc.

Dr. Foster began the concussion test on me like he had the others. I passed, no surprise there although he did find a rather large bump on the back of my head where the dude caught me from behind. He asked me how I got the bump and I told him it was from the other day. I had hit my head on the mat pretty hard while training. He seemed to buy it and said I was good to go. Alex and I thanked him and walked out to the lobby to find the rest of the group.