Staring Contest

Once the last bell of the school day rings I rush out of the classroom. I push through the sea of teenagers. Once I get out of the building I walk through the parking lot till I get to the gate. That's when I see my best friend waiting for me on his motorcycle.

"You know it's going to start snowing this week and I'm not going to be getting on that." I point towards his motorcycle. "If it does."

He chuckles and hands me his helmet. "Don't worry I'll steal Livs car if it does."

I nod and get on the back of the motorcycle, holding Luke by his waist. He turns it on and is on the road in seconds. Adrenaline cruising through my body in seconds.

He stops in front of a McDonald. We both get off and walk into it. We wait in the back of the line.

"Have you seen snow?" Luke rocks his feet back and forth.

"Yeah it snows back in Maine." I nod, looking at the menu ahead of me.

"What that's cool!" He says enthusiastically. He looks up at the menu and smiles. "I love food." He sighs in a dreamy state.

I gasp. "What about me?" I ask offended.

"Hey food comes first." He tries to give me a stern look but fails when he smiles.

It's our turn so we order our order and when we're done we go take a seat in a back booth. I place my bag next to me.

"We have my aunts friends staying over." I sigh, tired from cleaning the house over the weekend.

"Really?"

"Yeah, she made us clean the house." I rolled my eyes. "Hey Luke when's your birthday?" I ask him remembering Christmas is coming up.

"Next year." He simply says.

"Want a big booty hoe?" I laugh.

He starts laughing till he's out of breath. I really need to know what to buy Luke. I mean he's my best friend and he has put up with me the past month.

"You know everybody back home is on vacation." I sigh placing my head in my palms.

"You miss them don't you?" Concerned etched on his face.

"Yeah, I do."

We stay silent for the next couple of minutes. When our number gets called out Luke goes and gets our food. He hands me my tray and we get to eat.

"These chips are awesome." He says propping a handful in his mouth.

"Fries Luke fries." I grab one and throw it at him.

"Stop!" He pouts. I giggle at his face and go back to eating.

We eat in silence, making a few silly comments here and there. When we're done he gets up and throws away the trash.

"Let's go to the local mall?" He asks me when he comes back. "I want new beanies for the snow." He grins like a little kids.

"Okay." I nod and get my bag. We walk out of the fast food restaurant and go to Luke's bike. Once we get to the mall we both get off and walk in with a rush because its getting a bit chilly.

When we walk through the doors he holds my hand. I don't mind at all. I know it's just a friendly gesture.

We walk up the stairs and walk all the way to the back where there's a Pacsun. We enter the store and walk to where the beanies are.

"This one is cute!" I say grabbing a blue one. I chuck it at him and run before he could respond.

"Hey!" I hear him yell. By now I'm behind a pillar. "Where are you Hanna." I put my hand over my mouth to contain my giggles. "I'm going to find you, then I'm going to tickle you."