TUM Chapter 37

~ Emma ~

Megan spoke up first, "Emma, what's wrong?" My heart pounded in my chest with every passing second. This was not what I had expected. She wasn't supposed to find out. They weren't supposed to find out.

"N-Nothing, why would you ask such a t-thing," I stuttered. 

Megan stared at me, "Emma, come on. We're your friends. We can tell, when something is wrong."

I stared down at my hands. But, that was impossible. I had only known them for two months. No, I kept telling myself. But, my heart wouldn't listen. 

They know. 

I didn't know why it was such a hard thing for me to accept, but it was. These two had finally figured me out. And it was kind of scaring me. 

"I..H-He.."

At that moment, I wasn't able to form any coherent words. It seemed like the world had suddenly stopped and we were all going into panic mode. Except it wasn't "we," it was only "me." 

At one point or another, I couldn't hold it in anymore. I just let the tears flow carelessly. One after another.

Somewhere I had read that if the first tear came out of your left eye, it was from pain. And if the first tear came out of your right eye, it was from happiness. But, I couldn't even tell what I was feeling. Was I embarrassed? Sad? Angry? I didn't know.

Megan and Jessica stood up and embraced me. They patted my back soothingly and I whimpered. This was definitely not how I had imagined my summer. 

My helpless sobs had turned into tiny hiccups, at one point or another and I forced myself to go to the bathroom to make myself look a bit more presentable. Hopefully, Melinda wouldn't come back so soon. I could only imagine how much more horrific this could get, if that did happen.

When I was in the bathroom, I heard a light knock on the door. I froze. Uh-oh.

I quickly turned off the faucet and put my ear to the bathroom door. I wanted to know who it was, but I didn't want to reveal my identity.

I heard the door swing open, but I couldn't make out any of the conversation. I could only hear some mumbling, but that didn't really help. I was about to give up and open the door, but I heard someone raise their voice.

"She what?!"

More mumbling.

"You what?!"

"Jessica, calm down!"

I heard a slap. My eyes widened. This did not sound good. 

"Out!"

"But, Jessica! Please! Help me out this one time. Is she here?" Shoot. That was definitely him.

I smacked my forehead with my right hand, but immediately winced from my stupidity and the physical pain. Did he hear that?

"No." 

Someone sighed, "Okay.. I guess I should get going. Tell her I came by. And that I'm sorry for whatever happened."

My heart pounded wildly in my chest, as I tried to push my ear against the door even more. I needed to hear the rest of this conversation! Curse these soundproof doors! Or whatever they're called!

I heard a 'click' as the door closed.

"Emma, you can come out now. We know you're listening!" Jessica shouted. I groaned. So much for trying to be quiet.