TUM Chapter 41

~ Alexis ~

The days flew by quicker than ever. Everyone was getting ready for The Summer Gala and you could feel the excitement in the air. 

Competing in the talent show wasn't a requirement, so I was only helping out with the decorations.

Out of the four of us, Jessica was the only one competing. She said her act was going to be a secret and that we would have to wait and find out.

The Summer Gala was in five days on Friday. And on Sunday, we would all be leaving. I didn't even want to think about it. I had grown so attached to this camp and I don't know how or when I realized it, but it was literally my anchor. 

Today was dedicated to talent show and dance preparations. My shift ended about an hour ago, so I  had permission to go off site to get dresses and all that jazz. 

"Jessica!"

Her head whipped around, as soon as she heard her name. She smiled in my direction and quickly jogged over to me.

"Hey Alexis, what's up?"

"Are you done practicing for your oh so secret act?" I raised an eyebrow. "I just finished my shift and I was wondering if you wanted go shopping for dresses. Megan and Emma, too."

"Yes, of course, my darling. Anything you wish," she faked in her British accent.

"Please don't ever do that again. I don't know how you do it, but you managed to combine like five other accents."

"I thought it was good this time. I've been practicing!"

I cast an odd look in her direction. "Um, why? Do you plan on meeting the Queen of England for tea or something? Please don't. You'd probably make a huge fool of yourself."

"Well then," Jessica glared at me. "Anyways, Megan's and Emma's shifts end in a few minutes, we should head on over there."

"Okay," I nodded my head. "Shit, I forgot. How are we going to get to the closest mall? None of us have cars!"

"Leave that up to me, ladies."

I turned to the side at the voice and I swore my heart started beating a little faster. Zach looked absolutely handsome today. Not that he didn't look handsome every other day. He had an even brighter aura surrounding him today and this made me smile like an idiot.

He leaned over and gave me a small peck on the lips. I buried my head into his shoulder and inhaled his scent. God, could anyone be so perfect?

Jessica grinned at us, "Well, isn't that just adorable?"

I stuck my tongue out at her playfully and Zach chuckled. 

"Come on, let's go get Emma and Megan. Last one there is a chicken butt," I let go of Zach and smirked. 

"God, why am I dating such an idiot?" Zach groaned.

"Yeah, seriously. Why?" Jessica laughed. 

I scowled, "You two suck!"

I playfully shoved both of them to the side and got a good head start in the direction of Megan and Emma. 

***

After we finally got a hold of the two, we coincidentally ran into Trevor. He was on his way to the mall too, so Zach just invited him to join us. His face brightened as soon as he saw Emma, but darkened as soon as he saw her shy away. 

I whispered to Emma, "Don't worry about it. Let's just have fun today. And if he wants to talk, just go along with it." She nodded reluctantly and sent me a grateful smile.