TUM Chapter 31

~ Emma ~

My eyes widened and I looked around frantically, as Alexis exited the cafeteria. My gaze landed upon Melissa, who looked like an absolute mess to say the least. 

"What are you all looking at?! Don't you people have anything better to do than stare?!" Melissa snapped, trying to sound threatening.

Zach stepped forward and addressed her, "Melissa."

"Not now, Zach," Melissa growled at him. It was obvious that she didn't want anyone seeing her like this, at the moment. 

"No, this needs to be done now," Zach frowned at her.

"Fine, what is it?" Melissa stared at the ground harshly.  

"I don't know what has gotten into you, but you're not the same Melissa I first met. And I don't know where the old one went, but I miss her. She was the one I fell in love with. The only thing that matters now is that we're done. I'm sorry," Zach walked towards the exit quietly. 

The room as still silent as ever and you could hear pins dropping. I honestly didn't know I was holding in my breath, until now.

Melissa stared at the door speechlessly, before turning to the rest of us.

"What are you all looking at?! This is none of your business!" Melissa snapped, before bursting into tears. She ran towards the girls' bathroom and quickly pushed the door open. The other two girls in her posse quickly scurried after her. 

That just left the rest of us picking at our food, at a lost for words. 

***

~ Alexis ~

I almost made it back to my cabin safely, but I didn't realize anyone was following me.

"That was brilliant."

I jumped, before whirling around quickly. I could recognize that voice anywhere. But, what the h*ll? I didn't want to deal with anyone's bullsh*t right now. 

I started, "Zach? Listen, you can stick up for your girlfriend all you want but - "

"Didn't you just hear me? I said that was brilliant. And I'm not sticking up for her. She deserved it more than anything and I... kind of just.. broke up with her.." Zach trailed off.

The light coming from the front of one of the cabins illuminated his handsome, chisled face. But, I could barely make out his features, in the dark. 

I asked, "What? Why'd you do that?" 

"What do you think, Alexis? Would I really stay with her, after all of that...?" Zach said exasperatedly. 

This was all too confusing. "Well.. I guess not, but - "

"Are you saying that you want me to go after her? That you want me to be with her?"

When I heard the crunch of some leaves, I assumed that he was walking closer to me. 

"No, but - " I argued.

"But, what?" Zach lifted a hand out to hold my cheek gently. 

"I-I just..." 

Whatever I was going to say quickly became a blur, in my head. He tilted his head towards me and brushed his lips against mine. I felt him smile, as he pressed his lips to mine fully. He held my face in place, as he moved his other hand to the small of my back. My hands slowly grasped the back of my head, as I kissed him back. 

It was a short and brief kiss. But, I think I enjoyed it a bit too much. Zach pulled away, but smiled at me wholeheartedly. 

"You're an amazing person, Alexis. Any guy would be lucky to you have you," Zach held one of my hands and squeezed it comfortingly. 

I just closed my eyes and enjoyed the moment a bit longer. 

Finally, I spoke up, "Thank you, Zach. For a second, I thought you were going to yell at me or something."

He chuckled, "Did you want me to?" 

I slapped his arm lightly, "Of course not."

"So... are we still on for Saturday?" Zach nudged me. 

"Of course," I smiled at the ground, because he couldn't see me.

"Wanna get something to eat?" Zach asked.

"I don't feel like going back in there," I grimaced.

He suggested, "No, let's just take my car and go to a fast-food restaurant around here or something."

"We're allowed to do that?" I quirked an eyebrow.

Zach pointed towards himself and smirked, "The counselor gets to."

 "If I get in trouble, I'm blaming you," I rolled my eyes jokingly.

"Sure, blame everything on the counselor," Zach huffed playfully. 

We both laughed, as Zach led me to his car. This was already one heck of a day.

***

~ Emma ~ 

Megan, Jessica, and I finished our dinner quietly. We didn't really have anything to say to each other, after the entire fiasco. I don't think anyone did. 

When we all finished, we walked back to the cabin in silence. It wasn't awkward, but it certainly wasn't comfortable either. 

Melinda was already there, by the time we came back. But, she told us we could do whatever we wanted, for the rest of the night. 

All of us decided to lounge on our beds lazily, intead of going outside. Jessica flipped through a magazine, Megan was reading some book, and I was just listening to some music coming from my beat-up nano. 

Then, Melinda finally spoke up, "Do you guys know where Alexis is?"

"Ummm, not exactly..." I mumbled.

"What do you mean by that?" Melinda raised an eyebrow.

I shot the others a look that meant "help me," but all they did was sit there. So much for being friends, I thought to myself sarcastically.

I explained, "Well, you see, Alexis and Melissa kind of had a fight. And she just disappeared after that. We don't really know where she went..." 

Melinda sighed, before walking towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Megan asked her. 

"Telling Arlene and the other counselors. I'm not responsible for Alexis and her.. random adventures," Melissa rolled her eyes.

Well, that was an interesting way of putting it. 

"Do you guys think Alexis is okay?" Jessica asked nervously, before biting on a few of her finger nails. It was a nervous habit, she had picked up lately. 

"Yeah, it's Alexis. She'll be fine," I laughed it off. 

Megan agreed with me, "You're right. Alexis will be fine."

I had no doubt that Alexis would be okay. She was a strong person. And she definitely didn't let anyone bring her down and I admired her for that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated in 3 days, woot woot! You guys better be grateful ;) Anyway, I'm trying to wrap this story up. It's not that I don't like it, but I've extended it long enough. Remember when I used to update like once every 2 or 3 weeks? Yeah, I don't want that happening again. 

I don't know if I'll be starting another story soon, to be honest with you guys. I just have a lot on my plate right now and I don't really have any good story ideas. And I really don't like writing 2 stories at once, because I always favor one more than the other. And then I end up deleting one of them. I will definitely stay on Wattpad though, I love reading and the stories on here are just.. amazing, to say the least. 

That's all for this week, vote & comment & give me feedback please! Thanks guys :)