S01E05 | the twilight tone

SEASON ONE, EPISODE FIVE

THE TWILIGHT TONE

T.J.

          NO ONE SAW THE LIST GET POSTED, BUT, AT SOME POINT ON MONDAY, THERE IT WAS. Either A.J. or Isabella pinned it to the massive announcements board at the cafeteria and sneakily ran off before anyone could see them do it, but it was effective nonetheless and attracted the eye of whoever they wanted.

          People began to group in front of the board, trying to catch a glimpse of the list, while the others standing at the front attempted to make their way through the crowd and away from that place now that they had the information it needed. T.J. thought some of those people were being overly dramatic, with the ones who had been rejected breaking into sobs just like they had just lost a family member.

          In the end, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. He understood people were passionate and competitive, and show choir groups were immensely popular all around the country, but he never thought of them as being the only thing that mattered for some of them. Even though he was hoping he had been accepted into the group, mostly to feel like he had done something well enough in his life, he trusted A.J. to make the right call regarding who she wanted to choose.

          "Are you nervous?" Diana asked, looping her thin arm around his waist. She was so short her head barely even reached his shoulder.

          "I'm not sure," he replied, staring down at her, and she shot him a gentle smile. Diana was nice to everyone, but she was exceptionally sweet to those who were closest to her; luckily, T.J. had been fortunate enough to be included in that group. It was one of the few things he had ever done right, but it didn't count for much on the eyes of his parents; after all, being big man on campus was a grain of cosmic dust when compared to A.J.'s Broadway universe. "You did great, though. I'm sure you've made it into the group; they'd be silly to choose someone else over you."

          "Yeah, I really am pretty great, aren't I?" she chuckled, before focusing on something ahead of them. "I think I see a way into the crowd. Shall we?"