Chapter Ten: Nightmares

Chapter 10

We had been training for quite some time now and I could proudly say that I had improved significantly. I was now able to control how much energy I wanted to transmit into each sphere and no longer caused any huge explosions in the bunker, with the help of the gloves of course. I still had my slip ups every now and then but they were growing fewer and farther between.

Today we were testing the new chest plate Hank made for Alex. We were all down in the bunker and Charles and I were setting up a single manikin on one side of the bunker like we had before. I made a large X on the middle of the manikin with black tape and stood next to the manikin alongside Hank while Charles stood on its other side.

“Alright Alex I want you to hit the X, but try not to hit me” Charles told Alex with no fear in his voice what-so-ever, Hank on the other hand looked a bit worried clearly not having been told we were going to do this.

“You’re serious” Alex said sounding worried.

“I’m very serious. I have complete and utter faith in you”

“You can do it Alex” I told him after seeing him look a little scared, but not as scared as Hank was. I stayed in my spot next to the manikin knowing he wouldn’t hit me, Hank on the other hand took a step away from the manikin and me, afraid of being hit; I just rolled my eyes. He can do it, I know he can I thought to myself.

Alex looked reluctant but clenched his fists together and shot out a red beam towards the manikin hitting it right on. Charles, Hank, and I quickly darted away from the manikin after it caught on fire and I directed my view over towards Alex. He began laughing and had the biggest, goofiest smile on his face. I couldn’t help but smile as well after seeing him so happy.

“Am I still a bozo?” Hank called out to him.

“Yes Hank you’re still a bozo” he yelled back, “….but, nice job.”

My smile widened, oh god he couldn’t just let Hank win could he.

“Well that’s enough training for today” Charles said patting Alex on the back.

I was about to walk over towards Alex to leave the bunker but Charles stopped me.

“Lucy, do you think we could talk for a bit?” he asked.

“Yeah of course… Is something wrong?” Oh no did I mess up. What does he want to talk about? I thought to myself. Don’t worry; you’re not in any sort of trouble. I just want to sit down with you and help you with your past. I know it hasn’t been very easy on you and I just want to see if there’s anything I can do to help you. If that’s alright with you anyways. I heard him say in my head.

“Oh” I whisper out loud. So the day has finally come, I was a bit nervous but I trusted Charles and who knows maybe it won’t be too bad.”Yes of course, thank you.” I respond back, I see Alex turn around to see if I was coming but I just sent him a small smile, shaking my head no and turned to leave with Charles.

We made our way into one of his studies, and took a seat in front of his desk and stared down at my hands. I had been pushing many of the memories of that place as far back as I possibly could and was semi-successful in forgetting about them. But every night they came back and haunted me; there was no one to distract me at night, no one to redirect my attention, so they would just come flooding back without my permission.

“How have you been feeling?” Charles asks me.

“I’ve been good; I really love it here with everyone. It helps distract me from everything that’s happened.”