Chapter Seventeen: The Battle Begins

Chapter Seventeen

“What do you want me to do?” I asked getting ready to fight.

“You are to stay here in the jet” he answered me.

I stood there shocked; he couldn’t keep me away from this, I had to help. I wasn’t about to just sit here and look pretty.

Apparently Raven had the same idea as me because she began to make her way out of the jet.

“Raven Stop!” Charles yelled at her.

“I’m going to help them” she yelled back, not turning to look at him.

“We don’t have time for this. Anything comes in that entrance you’re both taking care of it yes?” He demanded.

“Fine” she gritted between teeth.

She looked so mad being told that she couldn’t go and fight with the rest of the group, and quite frankly so was I. But in the end we listened to him and stayed in the jet. We may want to go and help but we respect and love Charles too much to go against his wishes. So instead we stood there looking out at everyone else while all we could do was watch.

 We could see Hank, Alex, and Erik make their way outside and on the other side where the sub was stood Shaw’s men. It was them three against Riptide (The tornado guy), Azazel, and Angel; it pained me to see Angel with them, memories of Darwin coming back and how he may still be alive if she hadn’t left. But she made her choice and he’s gone and there was nothing we could do about it.

Alex immediately shot at riptide causing him to be pushed back, but Azazel was one step ahead and disappeared, reappearing behind the three of them. He swung his knife at Alex and my heart sped up instantly. Thankfully Hank turned around fast enough and was able to stop him before he hit Alex. 

My relief soon washed away though as Azazel wrapped his tail around Alex neck and I could not stay put in the jet anymore. I ran out as fast as I could in their direction ignoring Charles yells that came from behind me. Before I could reach them though Azazel puffed them out of there to who knows where, leaving me standing there looking around the island.

I was soon given something to do though as Riptide ran out towards me. Although I was deadly worried about how Alex was, I felt better knowing Hank was there to help him, that alone would have to do to calm me in order to have the strength to fight Riptide.

I could see Erik out of the corner of my eye making his way into the sub and I took a quick look around to see if I could find Angel but she was nowhere to be seen. At least like this I only had one person to worry about.

I had to move fast before he could make another one of his tornados and wisp me away. I quickly grabbed one of the spheres from my pocket charging it up, waiting for him to get a little closer. Once he was nearer I quickly threw it at his feet, I didn’t plan on killing him of course. The blast only threw him in the air and onto his back. I charged straight at him as soon as he landed, I jumped up and went to punch his face but he maneuvered out of the way, rolling next to me. He got up and grabbed a hold of my leg, easily picking me up and throwing me to the side. I was able to land on my feet and straighten myself as he made his was closer to me.

Riptide swung punches left and right and I easily dodged them, sending him a few of my own. I had to rely on my hand to hand training to get me through this as it was too dangerous to try and use my powers as I too could get hurt from the blast as well. I was very thankful for my training with Raven for if I hadn’t had any, I could have easily been done for.

He went to hit my side and I slid down under him, pushing him from behind so that he’d fall on his stomach. I took this time to charge up another sphere and throw it at a Palm tree in front of us, causing it to fall down towards us. I quickly moved out of the way so that the tree would only hit Riptide and not me, although I wasn’t fast enough and the tree managed to catch my leg. Thankfully though, it also completed its purpose of successfully knocking Riptide out.

I conjured up as much energy as I could to lift the tree and pull my leg out from under it; my leg was throbbing in pain, most likely broken, but I had to ignore it for the time being.

I look up at the sound of Sean’s shrieking and saw him falling down towards me with none other than Alex hanging onto his arm. Although I was very happy to see that he was ok I was more worried that they were about to land right on me at the moment to be glad to see him. Sean seemed to have one of his wings burned so he had to resort to crash landing and just as I predicted, they landed right on top me.

I let out a groan as Alex’s weight was pushed onto me, not gently what-so-ever at that. Sean had landed a little bit away from us, thankfully not on me as well, as Alex had.

Alex shifted, putting his weight on his elbows and stayed there hovering over me, his legs on either side of mine and his face only inches away from my own. This caused me to blush a bit from our weird position but a small whimper quickly changed the mood to a more serious one again.

“What’s wrong? Are you ok?” He asked getting off from on top of me to see what was wrong.

His motion though, caused his leg to brush against mine, making me hiss in pain.

“Shit! It’s ok, you’re gonna be ok” he assured me noticing my leg.

He moved to help me up and had me lean against him. I put my weight on him and looked up to see Angel coming straight for us. I quickly maneuver myself to a more comfortable position and threw a charged up piece of metal towards her before she can reach us, sending her off course. Alex turned around towards her and fired a beam in her direction, finished what I had started and burning one of her wings, rendering her flightless.

“We work pretty well together don’t we” I smirked up at him, ignoring my pained leg once again.

He just smiled down at me and held me tighter before going in for a kiss, which I gladly returned. I could hear Sean laughing from the side with relief after seeing Angel land on the ground with a thud after Alex shot her down.

My hands went to Alex’s chest and I noticed that his plate was gone. I pulled back and looked to confirm my suspicions.

“What happened to your chest plate?” I asked amazed that he had been able to fire at Angel even without it.

“Angel got a hold of it” was all he said, sounding very unpleased.

“Well I’m glad that was all she was able to get” I sighed in relief, realizing she could have really hurt him.

“Maybe we should worry more about you than me right now” he said looking down at my leg with a frown on his face.

I was still holding onto Alex when Hank and Azazel appeared a bit away from us. Azazel unfortunately had the upper hand though, landing on top of him and aiming his tail at Hank’s eye.

Sean had gotten up by then and made his way towards us, we were about to run and help when someone’s voice stopped us.

“Stop!” we heard Shaw say, freezing us all in our spots. Alex’s grip on me tightening. “Azazel” He then said, looking at him with authority clear in his voice.

Azazel quickly got up and stared right at him, waiting for orders. Those orders never came though, as Hank quickly got up as well, grabbing onto him and throwing him towards the sub. Azazel vanished before he could hit it though and reappeared behind Hank. Hank though seemed to have known what he was going to do because he had turned around right before Azazel appeared behind him and punched him square in the face, knocking him out cold.

With Azazel, Riptide, and Angel down we were only left with Shaw to defeat.