Epilogue

Epilogue

“Lucy… Lucy wake up” I heard someone whisper by my ear.

“Ugh go away” I said rolling over trying to get back to sleep.

“Lucy it’s me, Alex”

As soon as I heard that I shot out of bed looking to my left to find Alex kneeling down beside me. I sat there staring at him, not believing if he was truly there. Slowly, I moved my hand out towards him, placing it on his cheek; his face leaning into my palm, putting his own hand over mine.

“Say something…. Please”

“It’s really you” I smiled widely.

I pushed myself out of bed and straight into him, knocking him down onto the floor with me on top of him.

“You’re back!” I giggled, kissing his face over and over again, causing him to laugh along with me.

“Glad to know you’re happy to see me” He told me after I released him from my kisses.

He sat up but kept me on his lap, meanwhile I took this time to give him a quick look over. His hair was different from when I last saw him, it was shorter and combed to the side. He was also still dressed in his green military uniform with his sleeves rolled up. Finally my eyes found their way back to his and my mind filled with questions. He had been gone for so long, I would get a letter every once in a while but as the months went by they began to be few and far between. During that time my mind swirled with worry. Was he ok? Why hadn’t he contacted me? When would he be home? All those months I spent without an answer hoping he would come home soon, and he finally had.

I threw myself at him once more knocking him down again, not being able to control my happiness.

“I’ve been so worried” I finally confessed to him, holding him tight.

“I know, I’m sorry for not writing more but you have to understand-“

“It’s ok, I do. I’m happy your back. Welcome home.” I said cutting him off.

“It’s nice to be back.”

“When did you get back?” I asked him.

“Just barely, as soon as I landed I headed straight here.” He told me, getting back up and holding his hand out to help me.

“You better have” I retorted, poking him in the chest. “You must be starving, come on I’ll make you something to eat.”

I walked out of my room, making my way into the kitchen of the apartment that he and I had rented before he left for the army.

We had left the mansion a couple of years after everything had happened. Everything had begun to get better at first; Charles had made the mansion into a school for gifted children, otherwise known as mutants. He wanted to teach other to control their powers like he had with us; things were going great, Alex, Sean and I had actually become teachers and were helping out around the school. We had a couple of students but soon the war hit and one by one students and teachers began to get drafted off, Alex being one of them. It tore Charles apart, he had already lost so much and the downfall of his school took the final toll on him.

Alex thought it best for me to leave the mansion and we got this little apartment before he left. It was hard to leave Charles but there was no getting to him. I visit almost every day even though I no longer live there and it breaks my heart to see how low he’s fallen. Hank thought that giving him back his legs would help him, but now Charles uses the serum more as a drug. It gave him the ability to walk again but took away his powers and now all he does is drink all day and feel sorry for himself.