Chapter Six: Study Time

Chapter Six

I woke up with the sun hitting me in the face. I guess I forgot to close the curtains last night before I fell asleep. I groan as I flip over in my bed, it is way too early to be up I think to myself. If you don’t hurry down there won’t be any more food left I hear Charles say in my head.

I lay in my bed a while longer until I give in to the sound of my stomach growling and get up. I drag myself over to the bathroom and take a quick shower, changing into a pair of leggings and a loose fitting hoodie before putting my hair up into a ponytail and slipping my shoes on.

I make my way down, managing to find my way to the dining room while only losing my way twice. Everyone was already there when I walked in, well everyone but Raven, she wasn’t much of a morning person. I take a seat towards the end of the table and grab some toast and eggs that had been placed for us to take.

“Sleep well?” I hear Erik say from beside me.

I look up and smile at him “I did actually” I answer him with a smile.

“Good, you have a long day ahead of you” I frown a little, I was looking forward to training but the actual having to do work part kind of sucked. Erik laughed after seeing my expression, “Don’t worry it won’t be too bad” he says. I give him a look that says I don’t really believe him and he only laughs more.

Raven eventually came down, still looking half asleep, and once everyone was done eating we turned to look at Charles as he told us what we were going to do for the day. “Right now for starters I want everyone to go for a jog around the mansion, get warmed up for training. After that, half of you will be with me and the rest with Erik” with that everyone stood up and began to make their way out.

I got up and started walking towards the door with the rest but stopped after hearing Charles call me. Wait Lucy, I have different plans for you today. I turn and look at Charles with a confused expression, “I want to wait until you get a little stronger before you train. In the meantime I have arranged for you to have lessons with Hank to help improve your reading and writing skills.” He says out loud this time.

I was actually very interested in taking the lessons, being locked up for ten years and living on the streets before that didn’t really help with my education. And although I wasn’t dumb in anyway, there was a lot I could learn so I was a little excited to for the lessons. With that I give Charles a quick nod before heading out and to begin my jog.

I grab a bottled water after my jog before going into the room Charles had told me Hank would be teaching me in. It turned out to be a big library filled with books stacked from the floor up to the ceiling. I found Hank sitting at one of the tables in the middle of the room and quickly took the seat across from him.

“Hello Lucy” Hank greets me. “Today we are going to start off simple and see what it is you know and what you don’t and move on from there” He informs me. I smile at him as he begins to ask me questions to assess what it is I need help with. A couple hours later I end up slouched over the table dreading that I had to do this. Whatever excitement I had about this before was completely gone now. This sucks, I don’t know how people can actually enjoy school, I’d rather be out training with the others, at least then my head wouldn’t hurt. “…ucy... Lucy! Are you listening to me” I hear Hank call out to me breaking my train of thought.

“Huh?” I say lifting my head off the table to look up at him.

Hank just lets out a sigh. “I think maybe we should stop here for today” he tells me.

“Really?!” I ask excited.

“Heh yeah don’t worry we’ll pick up on this again tomorrow, plus I have to get back to my research.” I let out a humph at the thought of having to do this again tomorrow but quickly recover as I stand up and give Hank a quick hug before running out the room.

I walk out the back of the mansion and close my eyes as the sun hits my skin. “Ah the outside world, how I’ve missed you” I say out loud to myself. I hear someone laugh behind me and turn to face them.

“That bad huh?” Erik asks.

“It was horrible” I complain sounding like a child “English is so hard and confusing, there are so many rules I don't understand. Is this what you were telling me about this morning, because if it is, it was pretty bad.”

He just laughs and shakes his head at my comment “Come on it’s almost lunch, let’s get something to eat.” He says while holding out his arm for me to take. I loop my arm in his and we walk back into the mansion. Once inside we saw everyone scattered around the living room looking exhausted.

“Where were you all day?” Sean asks seeing me walk in.

“Studying” I say while scrunching up my nose at the thought of having to keep up my studies.

“What?! That’s not fair. I’ll trade you, you can do my training and I’ll study for you” Sean offers. I just giggle, what did Erik have them doing for him to prefer to study than train.

“Oh shut it, it wasn’t that hard. We barely even did anything” Erik says from next to me.

Sean just lets himself fall onto the couch dramatically causing me to giggle more; what a drama queen. We then hear Charles say that lunch was ready and moved into the dining room. I sat between Raven and Alex at the table. Raven was going on about who knows what as everyone else talked amongst themselves about today’s training.

“So, you off with Hank learning about the marvel of books?” Alex asks me. “Sounds like a lot of fun” he says sarcastically.

“I wish, I’d rather be out training with you guys than having to learn all that stuff.” I say with a sigh.

“Yeah, I always hated school too, glad I’m done with it” he says.

“Lucky” I mumble.

“Haha, listen I know it’s hard. If you ever need any help just ask, I may not be as smart as Hank but I used to help my little sister so I have experience teaching.” He tells me.

“Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind” I tell him as a smile forms on my face.

“No problem” he says lifting his chin up in the air with a smirk playing on his lips.

Charles had me do a couple of exercises the rest of the day to help me build up some muscle. At one point I was just following him around watching him help the others. I was currently sitting on the grass while Charles stood in front of Erik pointing a gun to his head. Don’t worry, he wasn’t trying to kill him, Erik wanted him to shoot him so that he could use his ability to stop the bullet before it hit him.

“You’re sure?” Charles asks him while cocking the gun.

“I’m sure” Erik answers with a big smile plastered on his face, he seemed a little too excited. Men I thought, causing Charles to look at me for a second.

Charles stood there for a while, looking as if he was debating whether or not to shoot. “No” he finally says lowering the gun. “No, I can’t I’m sorry. I can’t shoot anyone point blank, let alone my friend.”

“Oh come on, you know I can deflect it” Erik says grabbing Charles hand pointing the gun back at his head. “You’re always telling me to push myself.”

“If you know you can deflect it then it’s not challenging yourself” Charles argues. “Whatever happened to the man trying to raise a submarine?” Submarine? What in the world were these guys doing. Never mind I don't want to know I think to myself.

“What? I can’t” Erik says frustrated taking back the gun from Charles. “Something that big, I need the situation, t-the anger.”

“The angers not enough” Charles tells him.

“Well it’s gotten the job done all this time” Erik retorts.

“It’s nearly gotten you killed all this time” Charles argues back. “Hey come here” Charles tells Erik, leading him further away from where I was sitting. “Let’s try something a little more challenging” he says with a smile.

********

Who doesnt love the English, it's super easy! :D (Note the sarcasm -_- ) haha