Chapter Four: Goodbye

"Where's the telepath?" I hear the man who just walked in ask. I slowly look up realizing he's talking about Charles.

"Not here" the red one says.

"To bad. Well at least I can take this silly thing off." the same man,who I presumed was the leader, responds. He takes off the weird looking helmet he had before addressing us.

"Good evening, my names Sebastian Shaw" I gasp, this was the man we were supposed to be tracking down. He smiles at us before continuing, "And I am not here to hurt you." Sure he won't I think to myself.

Suddenly another agent pops out of nowhere telling them to freeze. "Azazel" Shaw says to the red man before he vanishes again reappearing behind the agent cutting his throat with one of his knives. "My friends" Shaw begins making me turn back towards him "there's a revolution coming when mankind discovers who we are and what we can do. Each of us will face a choice, be enslaved or rise up to rule. Choose freely, but know that if you are not with us then by definition you are against us" he finishes his speech looking at each of us intently. "So, you can stay and fight for the people who hate and fear you. Or you can join me, and live like kings... and queens" he says looking at Angel.

He extends his hand out towards her and she slowly takes it. "No" I whisper not believing she's actually taking his offer.

"Angel" Raven says.

"Are you kidding me" Darwin says not believing her decision also.

"Come on, we don't belong here, and that's nothing to be ashamed of." I shake my head at her. How could she side with someone who can so easily take someone else's life without even flinching? Darwin extends his hand out to her as if asking her to come back. But she only turns around and walks out with Shaw leaving him with his hand extended. I slowly reach out and pull his arm back down looking at him with eyes telling him that she won't come back.

He shakes me off and turns to look at Alex. They start whispering something to one another and I can see that Alex doesn't agree with whatever Darwin is saying. Darwin then shoves Alex and Alex shoves him back before Darwin steps forward "Stop. I'm coming with you." Shaw smirks and I just stand there shocked. No, not him too.

"Good choice" Shaw says stepping forward "So tell me about your mutation."

"Well I adapt to survive, so I guess that I'm coming with you" Darwin tells him. I see the others move towards the center of the room and follow them.

"I like that" Shaw says directing Darwin towards Angel and the other two. As soon as Darwin gets a hold of Angel's hand he yells Alex's name.

"Get down!" Alex yells and we all quickly move to the side away from Alex and his rings.

Darwin then proceeds to cover Angel changing his skin to rock so as to protect them both. Alex releases the rings and they go straight towards Shaw and his men. I sigh in relief but quickly gasp as I see the red rings diminish to nothing as Shaw seems to absorb the energy.

"Protecting your fellow mutants" Shaw says "that's a noble gesture, feels good."

Darwin goes to try and punch him, but Shaw easily blocks his fist. He grabs Darwin's jaw before whispering "Adapt to this" as he places a small red orb into his mouth. Shaw turns and disappears with Angel and his men leaving Darwin to his fate.

Darwin starts changing forms trying to adapt to the energy placed within him. I try running up to him but am stopped as two arms circle around my waist. I start kicking and flinging my arms around trying to get free but the hold on me only tightens. Darwin then turns to us one last time, he moves his arm towards us as if saying goodbye; I start crying as I see my friend explode right in front of me.

Alex, who was the person holding onto me, quickly turns me around and buries my face into his shoulder holding my head close to him with one hand and my waist with the other. I sob quietly into his shoulder, he's gone and there was nothing we could do about it.

I hear Hank behind us telling us that we should move somewhere else for the time being. Alex loosens his grip around me and we slowly make our way outside. As we passed through the hallways we see all the dead bodies and broken pieces of stone wall scattered all over the floor. We maneuver over the fallen walls and people and I go to grab hold of Alex's hand seeking some form of comfort. He seems surprised but doesn't shake my hand off, to which I am very grateful for.

We finally make it outside to the front of the building and sit down on one of the benches that had been cleared away. I let go of Alex's hand and sit down at the corner of the bench pulling my legs up to my chest. We are all quiet as more agents arrive; they look at us for a moment before rushing inside to see the damage. It feels like hours before the sun starts to rise and the agents begin to clear the building bringing out the bodies and taking them away. I don't dare look up, too scared to look and see the bodies of the people being taken out. There were so many.

I only look up when I hear a car come to a screeching halt with Charles, Erik and Moira running out of it.

"Raven!" Charles yells.

I then hear Erik call my name and run up to me as well. I quickly wrap my arms around Erik and hide my face in his chest. "It's ok, I'm here" he whispers to me as he stokes my hair. I felt a wave of love and protection wash over me as he held me in his arms.

"We've made arrangements for you to be taken home immediately" I hear Charles say. I quickly look up and turn to look at him with worried eyes. No, he can't send us home, where am I supposed to go?!

"We're not going home" Sean says.

"What?" Charles asks surprised.

"And he's not going back to prison" Sean says nodding towards Alex who's sitting next to him.

"He killed Darwin" Alex exclaims. I look down at the ground remembering his death as a tear rolls down my cheeks.

"All the more reason for you to leave, this is over" Charles says.

"Darwin's dead Charles and we can't even bury him" Raven tells him.

"We are not going to let him get away with this, we have to do something" I say speaking up with anger clear in my voice.

"We can avenge him" Erik says from next to me. I look up at him with a smile, and he nods in return.

"Erik, a word please" Charles says as he and Erik move over to the side and start arguing about what to do.

I turn and make my way over toward Raven and stand next to her.

Charles then turns and looks at us. "We'll have to train" he says. I smile realizing that he agreed to let us stay. Not that I was planning on leaving in the first place even if he didn't agree. "All of us, Yes?" he asks.

Everyone quickly agreed nodding their heads. "We can't stay here, even if they reopen the department it's not safe" Hank points out. "We've got nowhere to go."

"Yes we do" Charles answers him. I feel Raven start jumping beside me.

"Oh you guys are going to love it there" she says, I stare at here confused. I guess she knew where it was we were going.

********

A little shorter than previous chapters but I'll try and upload the next chapter soon :)