Chapter Eight: Bozo

Chapter Eight

We all stood leaning out the window looking at Sean who sat off the ledge of the window right next to ours. I couldn’t see well and kept jumping up and down trying to get a better look at what Sean was going to do.

“Here, hop on” Alex told me squatting down a little so I could jump on his back.

“Um, i-it’s ok” I stuttered feeling my checks  start to heat up.

“It’s no problem really. Come on.”

I stood there for a bit but eventually decide to just accept his help and climb onto his back. He moves towards the window again and turns to look at Sean who’s talking to Charles. I wasn’t paying attention to what they were saying though. I had never noticed how broad Alex was, I knew he was a lot taller than me but I hadn’t noticed how much bigger he was before. I was tiny compared to him. I felt his grip on my thighs so as to keep me up and my cheeks redden even more than before. What’s wrong with me?

“And don’t forget to scream” I hear Charles say, breaking me from my daze.

I look towards their direction, leaning into Alex more and saw Sean do a quick prayer before spreading his arms revealing bat-like wings and jumping off the ledge. He gives out a sort of yelp and lands straight in the bushes. I can’t help but giggle when he falls, poor Sean. We all stare at him from the window until we see him slowly get up and look up at us. At that point we all break out laughing.

We move away from the window and I jump off of Alex’s back saying a quick thank you before heading out of the room with Charles and Hank for more training.

We all change into sweat pants and go out to the back of the mansion.

Charles tells me to stand on the other side of the mansion while he and Hank have a little race. I make my way over and look down the path to see Hank begin to take his shoes off, leaving him barefoot. I turn back as they start running and then suddenly feel a gust of wind hit me sending my white hair flying into my face and I see a blob of grey pass quickly in front of me.

I turn to see that Charles is running by himself but then something, or someone, further down starts moving towards him and fast. I look closer and see that the figure is Hank! He starts running slower and taps Charles on the shoulder startling him for a bit before he laughs as they come to a stop in front of me.

“Oh congratulations my friend, Robert Louis Stevenson would’ve been proud.” Charles tells him.

I smile as I walk closer to him but hear someone coming up from behind.

“Impressive Hank” I turn to see Alex, “feet like those all you need is a red nose, right bozo” he finishes clapping hank on the back.

“I think I’m done here” Hank says walking away looking a bit depressed.

“Thank you Alex” Charles says sarcastically before walking away himself.

I just look at Alex giving him a stern look and shaking my head as I turn to follow Charles as we head to catch up to Hank.

“What?” Alex asks waving his arms in the air, not understanding what he did wrong. I just continue to walk away deciding not to answer him.

A day had passed since then and I was back in the bunker with Alex, Charles, and Hank. Hank had designed some devices that would better help us control our powers. Alex’s was a vest with some plates in the middle of his chest, while mines were gloves that had wires outlining them. Hank said they would help me be able to focus on the amount of energy I wanted to transfer to whatever object I had, although the way he said it was a lot more complicated.

“Sexy” I hear Alex say as he puts his vest on. I giggle a bit and go back to pulling on my gloves.

“This is just a prototype, the real one will look considerable better. It’ll be a whole suit.” Hank tells him finishing zipping him up, I can hear Charles chuckling from beside me. “See these sensors measure your energy output, much like Lucy’s gloves. This panel focuses it and the access is absorbed.” Hank finishes explaining pointing at the different objects on the vest.

“Alright try focusing on the manikin in the middle, just the one in the middle mind” Charles tells him as we make our way out of the bunker again. “Good luck” he says before closing the door.

We hear two bangs and open the door to find Alex laying on the floor and all but the middle manikin hit. Hank chuckles at the sight, finding amusement at Alex’s failure and Charles moves to help Alex up.

“You’re getting better. With a little more practice I’m sure you’ll be able to do it with ease.” Charles reassures him.

Alex sends a quick glare toward Hank, making him immediately stopping his laughter.

“Lucy, you’re up next” I move over towards Charles sending him a quick worried glance before talking the bag of spheres from his hand.

“You can do it” I whisper to myself. I grab a sphere out of the bag again and hold it in my palm, finding it a little difficult with how bulky the gloves are.

“Don’t worry the finished gloves will be a lot sleeker. You’ll barely notice they’re there” Hank assures me.

I focus on transferring energy to the sphere, taking into account how big it is and how big of an explosion I want. I find it easier with the gloves, it like there’s something stopping me from giving off too much energy. I then proceed to throw the sphere towards the middle manikin that Alex missed and seconds later the sphere explodes causing the manikin to fall back . It catches on fire still but it doesn’t completely explode like it did before.

I turn and hug the person closest to me out of excitement of my improvement, wrapping my arms around their neck. I pull away a little and see that it was Alex that I grabbed. I start blushing as I realize how close his face is to mine and quickly let go.

“It worked” I say excitedly looking at Charles and Hank giving them a quick hug too, hopefully no one noticed how red my cheeks were.

Hank starts rambling about what he can do to improve both mine’s and Alex’s gear. I turn to take a quick look at Alex and see him staring back at me intently with a smirk. I bite my lower lip and look down at the ground. I feel the same tingling feeling I had when he had hugged me in the living room a couple days ago. I make my way out of the bunker and towards my room trying to figure out why I was feeling this way. I had never felt like this before, was I getting sick? But I only ever felt like this when I was around Alex. But I hadn’t felt like this before, this only started happening a couple of days ago.

I let out a groan of frustration and throw myself onto my bed as I continue to have an internal debate as to what this new feeling could be.