Chapter Nine: Fireworks

Chapter Nine

“What’s going on?” I ask making my way towards where Raven and Alex where.

“They’re trying to see if Sean can fly” Raven responds pointing up at the top of the satellite where you could sort of make out Sean, Charles, Hank, and Erik standing.

“What?! They want him to jump from up there? But he couldn’t even do it from the window last time.”

Raven just shrugs her shoulders and continues looking up at what’s happening. I stand between the two and stare up to try and see what is happening.

All of a sudden I see Sean start falling down off the satellite, but he isn’t screaming. He falls closer and closer to the ground and we all begin to worry as to whether or not he will be able to fly; if he can’t, I don’t even want to think about what will happen. Right at the last second we hear a high pitched scream and Sean swoops down right over us before rising up into the sky. A sigh of relief escapes my lips, releasing the breath I didn’t even know I was holding. He did it! He’s flying. We all had ducked down as he passed over us, afraid of getting hit and popped right back up to start cheering for Sean.

“Woo-hoo!!!!” we hear him yell as he continues to scream every time he got lower to the ground.

“That’s amazing” I hear Raven say, “I wish I could fly.”

I smile at her and continue to watch Sean before he slowly starts to make his way down towards us to land. He looks to be moving a little too fast though as he approaches the ground and we all quickly move out of the way as he flies right past us and into a bush.

We all make our way to him, surrounding him in a circle when we find him tangled in a bush.

“Looks like you need to practice your landing” Alex chuckles while offering him a hand. Sean gladly accepts and starts picking the leaves out of his hair.

“This calls for a celebration” Raven says excitedly.

Night fell and we were all gathered at the back of the mansion.

“So what is it we’re doing?” I ask.

“I told you we’re setting off fireworks.” Raven says.

“Oh…. And what are those exactly?” I asked again.

“You’ll see” is all she said with a devilish smile before turning to tell Sean something.

I let out a white puff of air while pulling my sweater closer to my body. It was starting to get pretty cold out at night, after all it was New York in January.

This was exciting, every day I got to experience something new and fun. I never knew I could enjoy life so much, all the little things meant so much to me.

I moved a little ways away from the rest and sat down on the grass to stare up at the stars while Raven and the rest got everything set up. I wanted to help but decided I would do more harm than good since I didn’t know what I was doing. A cold breeze passed and I shivered as it hit me. I then felt something warm cover my shoulders, looking up I saw Alex placing his jacket around me.

“Oh no I’m ok” I say as I start taking his jacket off.

“You’re practically shaking” He says chuckling, “just take it.”

“But what about you?”

He puts the jacket back on my shoulders and sits down beside me.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine” he tells me and soon after saying that, he lets out a small sneeze.

I just giggle a bit and move closer to him as to give off a little body heat so he’s not as cold. It was sweet how he was trying to act tough for my sake and withstand the cold. Alex saw me move closer and put an arm around my waist pulling me even closer to him. I felt my face heat up and stared off ahead, not daring to look up at him.

I saw Raven turn towards us and her face immediately lit up. She sent me a big smile and a thumbs up and went back to what she was doing.  Alex’s grip on me never left and I found that I didn’t really mind. Although I felt a bit nervous I didn’t not like it, it felt kind of nice to be close to him.

“Alright everyone, get ready for an amazing show” Raven said excitedly. Everyone but Hank moved over towards us and took their seat on the grass. I saw Erik give Alex a quick glare, which made Alex stiffen a bit but he didn’t move his hand. Raven looks at us again with a smile before turning to yell, “Whenever you’re ready Hank!”

Hank lit a box and ran over to us; the box began to make a popping noise that turned into a high pitched whistle as something flew up into the air. Then it exploded with a loud band and streaks of light shot out in all directions and colors. Many more began to shot up and I stared at them with wide eyes. It was so beautiful; it was as if different colors came together and danced around in the night sky, illuminating it.

“Wow” is all that escapes my mouth accompanied with an expression that probably resembles that of a child’s.

I can hear Alex laughing and turn to look at him to see him staring at me amused.

“What?” I ask, scrunching my eyebrows together and tilting my head to the side.

“Nothing, you just look so amazed” He tells me.

“So what? This is amazing.” I pouted.

“I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I think it’s kinda cute”

I look down at my lap and started feeling flushed again. I heard him chuckle and his embrace tighten around me; my body then moved on its own accord and I felt myself lean into him as I let out a sigh of content. We stayed quiet after that and just stared at the fireworks until they were over.

Everyone started getting up and I felt Alex’s arm loosen, he got up and proceeded to help me up as well. I began to bit my lower lip trying to think of what to say next, but couldn’t come up with anything from being so nervous. I don’t understand why I’m so nervous around him lately. I looked up at him and find him already looking down at me. My throat went dry, and I somehow managed to mutter a quick thank you before turned to walk away before I made a fool of myself; but Alex’s hand gripped around my wrist stopped me before I could get away.

I looked up at him expectantly, and he immediately dropped his hold on my wrist as if he hadn’t even realized he had grabbed it. His cheeks then turned a shade of pink similar to mine and he began to look quite flustered as he looked for something to tell me.

“U-um, good night” he stuttered turning to take off back into the mansion.

I stood there as I watched him go back inside, a small smile playing on my lips. Raven made her way next to me and placed her hand on my shoulder.

“I so called it” she said, I turned to look at her with a confused expression. She just laughed; “You’ll see what I mean soon enough” was all she said before she too headed back into the mansion.

********

She's starting to realize her feeling omg XO

Please let me know what you think so far  

vote, comment, I;d love to hear what you guys think