Chapter Eighteen: Lost

Chapter Eighteen

We all moved our gaze from the knocked out body on the floor to the more threatening presence in front of Hank. We all stood ready to attack Shaw and were about to go at him when Shaw changed from being Shaw to Raven.

“That was brilliant Raven” I said, being the first to speak up.

She stood there with a smirk on her face from her accomplishment. I tried to move closer to her, but as soon as I tried to move, pain shot through my leg. Alex gave me a stern look, warning me not to move again and I in return gave him an apologetic smile.

He seemed really worried about me, something I wasn’t used to at all, but greatly accepted. Raven, seeing I couldn’t move to her, moved to me instead and went to inspect my leg straight away, along with Hank. She then ran inside and got me some bandages at Hank’s request. He quickly wrapped up my leg, promising to take a better look at it once this was all over.

The bandage itself helped immensely, the pressure stopping the throbbing for which I was greatly thankful for.

We could hear racket coming from inside the jet, looking in I could see Charles looking very frustrated and looking towards the sub and the first thing that came to mind was Erik. Oh no! What is he doing! I have to help him.

I guess the worry was clear on my face because Alex looked down at me with a worried glance.

“What’s wrong?” he asked me.

“It’s Erik” I looked at him with big scarred eyes “He needs my help, I need to go to him!”

I went to move towards the sub but Alex held me back.

“Lucy, calm down. You can’t just run in there with how you are right now” he tried to reason with me, but I was having none of that at the moment. I needed to get to him.

“Alex let go, I have to help Erik, he needs me!” I repeated trying to get out of his grip. I could feel my eyes starting to tear up. I was scared of what he may do, not that I cared what happened to Shaw, but hatred can drive a person to do horrible things that can change a person forever. I did not want to lose Erik because of his rage, I couldn’t.

“Erik!!” I screamed hoping he heard me.

I heard Charles scream out in pain and everyone turned to see what was wrong, including Alex. These couple seconds of distraction were enough for me to break free from his grip and run towards the sub. I ignored the pain in my leg, pure adrenaline driving me forward. I could hear Alex yell for me and his steps coming towards me once he realized I was on the run but I never stopped, I kept running towards Erik.

The only thing that stopped me right in my place was seeing Shaw’s body floating out of the sub.

“No” I whispered, putting a hand over my mouth.

“Today our fighting stops” Erik says, coming out of the sub as well. He was floating in the air behind Shaw’s body, Shaw’s dead body. Blood dripping down from his forehead as Erik let his body fall to the ground only a few feet away from me.

I felt my legs grow weak and soon Alex had his arm around me once again, finally catching up to me. He pulled me into him, my head leaning into his chest as tears threatened to spill. I stood there staring at Shaw’s body on the ground and slowly turned my attention up to Erik who was making his way down towards us. He wore Shaw’s helmet and had a look in his eye that I knew meant that I had lost him.

“Take off your blinders brothers and sisters, the real enemy is out there” He said pointing out to the ships where the humans were. “I feel their guns moving in the water, their metal targeting us. The Americans… Soviets…. Humans, united in their fear of the unknown. The Neanderthal is running scared my fellow mutants!”

Charles and Moira began to make their way towards the rest of us, coming closer to Erik.

“Go ahead Charles… tell me I’m wrong” Erik challenged.

Charles stood there for a second before putting his fingered to his temple to see if he was right. He had a worried look on his face that said it all, he looked at Moira, giving her a look that said to tell the ships not to fire.

But before she could both ships fired their missiles at us, they were ready to kill us only because they didn’t know what we were, too scared of the unknown. I gripped Alex’s shirt getting ready for the impact.

Right before they got to us though, Erik put his hand up and stopped all of the missiles from hitting us. He then began to turn the missiles around, facing them towards the ships they came out from.

“Erik you said so yourself, we’re the better men. This is the time to prove it” Charles tried to convince him to stop his madness. “There are thousands of men on those ships! Good, Honest, Innocent men! They’re just following orders”

I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath knowing that what Charles had just said did anything but make Erik change his mind, if anything it drove him.

“I’ve been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again” Erik stated angrily.

“Erik no!!” I screamed to him, but it was as if he was deaf. He shot the missiles towards the ships ready to take the lives of all those men. I didn’t agree with them trying to kill us because they are afraid but I couldn’t stand there and see Erik kill them all either. He was turning into what I feared most, he was becoming someone who was not afraid to take a life.

“Erik release them!” Charles yelled, but Erik never stopped. “Noooooooo!”

Charles then went and tackled Erik to the ground, with the sudden attack Erik lost control of the missiles causing many of them to fall into the ocean.

He and Erik began to wrestle on the floor, Charles to get him to stop and Erik so that he could continue to fire the missiles at the ship. Erik all the while telling Charles to not make him hurt him, I just stood there feeling useless seeing it all develop in front of me.

The boys on the other hand went forwards to help Charles, but Erik only pushed them back, sending them flying in the air. Now with Alex laying somewhere behind me, I was left alone to see my loved ones hurt on another.

Erik won the fight and stood up gaining control of the missiles once again, leaving Charles on the ground beside him.

Then I heard gun shots, I turned and saw Moira shooting at Erik to get him to stop. Erik of course easily deflected them but also let go of the missiles. The remaining missiles going off and landing in the water before hitting any of the ships.

“Stop it!” I yelled at her, although I knew what Erik was doing is wrong, I still didn’t want anyone to hurt him.

She kept shooting at him and then the unthinkable happened. One of the bullets Erik deflected went straight into Charles back. My heart fell, this couldn’t be happening. I could not lose two of the most important people in my life on the same day.

*********

Sorry X( I know it's been forever. School started for me and of course there is no readjustment period, striaght to studying, homework, and tests for me -_- The life of a college student. Late nights and early mornings, no sleeo what-so-ever.

I'll try to upload new chapters faster than this I promise.

I hope you like the story so far. 

p.s. When I heard Charles tell Erik that the men on the ship were just good men following orders I literally face palmed, worst thing to say if he wanted him to stop.