Chapter Seven: Training

Chapter Seven

A couple of days had passed by and I was getting better with my studies, still sucked though but Hank said I was improving greatly. I had also been building up muscle and today was the day that Charles would finally let me train. I raced out of my room and made my way to Charles and found him with Alex in the living room with a couple of manikins.

“Ok now that Lucy’s here lets head down to the bunker shall we” Charles says as I walk into the room.

I look at Alex who only shrugs his shoulders before picking up one of the manikins before following Charles. I pick up the other one and follow behind. We make our way down under the mansion when Alex comes to an abrupt stop, causing me to run into him.

“Sorry” I tell him while rubbing my nose after having hit it with the manikin.

“My step-father took the possibility of nuclear war quite seriously, this way. That’s why he had this bunker built down here” Charles opens the door and turns the light on, illuminating the room revealing a huge amount of empty space. “Thought we could use it as a practice room of sorts.” He states leading us to the end of the bunker to set the manikins down.

“You don’t think I’m gonna blow through the walls?” Alex asks.

“No heh, he had this place built to withstand a nuclear bomb. I think it can handle you Alex.”

I place the manikin down a couple a feet away from Alex’s before we start walking back to the other side of the bunker.

“You know when I do this bad things tend to happen” Alex warns Charles again.

“It’s because you can’t control it, it controls you. That’s why we’re here Alex, that’s why we’re training.” Charles assures him.

“Well if you’re serious about me doing this, you might want to get back.”

“Oh alright, come on Lucy let’s wait outside.” Charles tells me as we walk out of the room, leaving Alex alone in the bunker.

“Am I going after him?” I ask. He smiles and nods at me. “You don’t think I’ll blow the bunker up?” I ask worried of what I might cause.

“Like I told Alex, this bunker was made to withstand a nuclear bomb. I highly doubt you’ll do any damage.” He tells me. “Whenever you’re ready” he then yells to Alex through the door. We hear an explosion and an alarm starts blaring causing me to cover my ears. Charles only smiles and goes to open the door. His smile soon fades as he goes to grab the fire extinguisher.

I walk in to see rings of fire throughout the room, “I will teach you to control this Alex.” Charles exclaims as he puts out the fire, but Alex doesn’t look too convinced. “Alright” Charles begins as he puts out the last flame, “Your turn” he turns to me, handing me a bag full of small spheres.

I swallow the lump that formed in my throat before standing in the middle of the room facing the manikin. Charles and Alex stand on either side of me and I turn to face them. “You might want to stand back a bit” I tell them as they move a couple of steps behind me. I turn back to face the manikin and start fidgeting with the bag, getting more and more nervous.

“Don’t worry” I hear Charles say from behind “remember you control, it not the other way around.”

I shake my head trying to relax and take out one of the spheres letting it sit in my hand. I focus on the energy that runs through my body and bringing it into my hand. I soon see my hand begin to glow purple as the energy is transferred from my body and into the sphere and stare at it for a minute before throwing it at my manikin. A couple of seconds later the sphere explodes causing the manikin to  explode completely and half the one that Alex brought in along with it.

“Well then, that was a bigger explosion that I thought. It seems as though you are getting potential energy and converting it into kinetic energy causing it to explode as a reaction of not being able to withstand that much energy.” Charles exclaims. I only stare at him confused as to what to do with this new found information. He only chuckles before further explaining. “As long as you learn how to much energy you want to transfer to the object, you can control how big the explosion will be.”

I smile at the thought of learning to better control my powers and not hurting others by using them anymore. “Well that’s enough training for today, I’ll see if Hank can come up with any devices to help you better control your abilities until you can naturally control them yourselves.”

We made our way back upstairs, Charles excused himself saying that he was going to help the others train, leaving Alex and I alone.

“Well that was fun” I say, breaking the silence that was forming between us. “It’s a whole lot better than being stuck in the library learning I can tell you that much.”

“Yeah I guess” Alex responds rather coldly.

“What’s wrong?” I ask, walking into one of the many living rooms.

We make out way towards one of the couches and sit down before he continues.

“Nothing, it’s just that… just that I’m not exactly sure if I will be able to my power. What if I end up hurting someone again like I did with-”

“I told you, what happened with Darwin is not your fault.” I say cutting him off before he can finish. “You did not put the ball into his mouth and you did not kill him.” I look at him sternly trying to get the message across; he turns to look away from me but I grab his face with both my hands, forcing him to look at me. “If it truly was your fault then I am no better than you are.”

He looked at me confused; I let out a sigh and move my hands onto my lap before I continue. “Back before I was rescued by Charles and Erik, I was held in a facility that did experiments on me. They wanted to see how my mutation worked and what had caused it. They pocked me with needles and began forced me to blow things up to see how big of an explosion I could make.” I stop, not sure if I can continue. I let out another shaky breath before I start again. “Once, they wanted to see if I could transfer energy not only to objects but to something living. I didn’t want to and they would beat me every time I refused.” I bit my lip and tears start to form in my eyes. “I held on for weeks, months even, but then one day I just couldn’t take the beating anymore a-and.. I, I broke.” By then I had started shaking at the memories of what I had done to that poor girl.

I felt arms envelop me, and I began crying into Alex’s chest as he held me tightly against him.

“Sssshhhhh its ok you’re safe now, they can’t hurt you anymore.” He cooed into my ear while he rocked me back and forth. I just closed my eyes and let him comfort me. It felt nice to be in his arms, I felt safe.

He pulled back a bit and moved a strand of my white hair behind my ear. “I’m sorry I made you remember that” he whispered.

“No, it’s ok. I feel better now, it’s nice to get it off my chest” I whispered back. “But like I said, I don’t blame myself, they were the ones who made me do it. I only held the gun, but they were the ones who pulled the trigger.” I said angrily at what they had done to me.

 He just pulled me back into another embrace and I wrapped my arms around his waist, laying my head in the crook of his neck. I felt warmth spread through me and butterflies fill my stomach.  I didn’t know what it was or what it meant, so I choose to ignore it and stayed in the comfort of his arms.

*******

A little view at what happened while she was held captive, poor Lucy. 

I felt like this song kind of fit her story a bit