Chapter 17: What's Past Is The Prologue

19th June, 2019

We begin life for happy endings but little do we know that most of them are meant to complete in Paradise.

Ramadan went by so fast, like in a blink. Taraa felt a little less happy that she couldn't make the most of it even though she tried her best to. The following months seemed to have taken a toll on her as they took their sweet time in rushing out. But she was very thankful to Ameen's heartening care and love that she couldn't imagine what she would do without him. Ignoring the hint of irony behind this thought, she went on with sewing the blanket. Something her mother-in-law taught her and Taraa being appreciative, she loved the idea of sewing little blankets and dresses for her little baby girl.

She was so focused in her work and her thoughts that Ameen had to call her twice. She looked up at him and within a jolt she had lost control and the icy prick actually startled her. Ameen rushed to her and closed off the machine. He grabbed a piece of cloth from the leftovers of her unwanted patches and cleaned the blood off her finger.

"I'm sorry!" Ameen apologized.

"It's okay!" She smiled and got up to wash off the blood as Ameen went for the bandages.

As he was tending to her wound, he slowly asked, "So, have you thought about any names yet?"

"I'm only six months in! Why the hurry?" She shrugged.

"Don't know, just excited to hear the kind of weird or strange names you would come up with!" He teased and she kind of felt offended.

"Don't know why, but these days it takes only a few words to break my heart! And you are doing a great job at it. Wonder what kind of doctor are you?!" She mumbled away making him chuckle.

"I'm kidding, just wanted to know what you had in mind." He then said.

Taraa rolled her eyes.

"I'm serious!" He budged.

Taraa smirked at that and said, "Actually I was gonna ask you the same!"

"No, um . . . I don't have any in mind. . . ." He trailed off and Taraa was a little disappointed.

"Okay so, I remember this conversation with my brother before the wedding and he asked me what would name my future children!" She blushed and bit her lip.

"And what did you say?"

"I mean they were kind of random but I liked the sound of them later." For some odd reason, she was shy about this whole conversation.

"Tell me the names, Taraa!" He was excited to know the name of their first girl. Yes, whatever she comes up with, he knew he would love it. Without second thoughts.

After a brief pause, she finally said, "Alya and Ameer."

A smile made its way on his lips and he knew he would love it without doubt, "Alya! I love how it sounds and the meaning and it really is special."

"I mean, I don't mind if you want to change or something." Taraa said.

"No, Alya it is." And the decision was final.

All of a sudden when Ameen left her alone, she was reminded of her family. She missed them. But the person whom she missed the most was her brother. The one she always felt the closest to. Abed was not Abed. He had changed. The little brother she spent all her time with in her childhood didn't grow up the way she expected him to be. She felt stupid being surprised at that. She did blame him for his drinking and inhumane behaviour, but another guilty part of herself couldn't blame him. Not entirely.