Chapter 8: Misaligned & Jealous Stars

18th January, 2019

There's a whole another world residing among ours.

"I am having trouble coping up with my credit hours, it's such a mess that I can't even breath." Malak left out a heavy sign.

Taraa was silent, simply enjoying the fact that she was ignoring her friend.

"So, I wanted to ask you about my research. It's a very conflicting one but I think you have my back for this?" Malak began as Taraa rolled her eyes.

"Maybe." She whispered.

For Malak, Taraa's maybe always meant a 'yes'. Grinning she began her vent, Taraa was patiently listening, trying so hard to not ignore. Their conversation came down to the verses of humanity and loss when Malak suddenly asked, "Do you think the connection between us is important?"

This caught Taraa's attention as she sat up straight. "Human connection is not important. People misinterpret the two between human connection and human interaction. The latter is what you are talking about? That's what bases the mankind, you can't live without it, you can't flow with life if you don't thrive with it. Human connection on the other hand is a matter of personal reference, it's a lot to deal with, two way effort and in way roots, it's something messy and not essential."

Taraa stopped right away, not willing to get into details.

"Have you ever connected?" Malak nonchalantly asked while Taraa wished she hadn't.

Looking away she sighed, "My mother . . ."

"Do you miss her?"

"No. She's gone for good." Her monotone replies were obvious.

Malak then slowly said, "She's your mother, did you ever forgive her?"

"Yes, I made my peace with her."

"I didn't know you guys were close. . . " Malak trailed off.

"It's obvious that we were close. First child, first and only daughter, I got all the attention and care I didn't deserve while Abed did, though he never cared. But this affected my brother in ways I cannot even imagine. Mother was a little crazy, driven by passion or I'd rather say obsession. She wanted to become something she never could, she put her career above her marriage. I think all the storms have calmed down after she left this world."

Even then, that written storm was her only peace.

"My mother . . . her death taught me how to sit with loneliness. The real taste of loneliness is when you give all that you have, all too much, all the way deep to the beyond not realizing that it is the one way reaction. When you keep drifting away from the sea of people to understand that human connection isn't meant for you. When you give up trying to connect, to fit in, to build ships that have no guarantee of anchoring or permanence. When you go back to sleep during the broken phases of night, curling in the arms of loneliness while it assures you that God is One, Only He understands the broken abstracts of your heart, those complex feelings floating your soul, those confused thoughts lurking inside the corners of your mind . . "

She was drifting away while dreaming about this world?

"When death was beautifying itself, life was dreaming out there as my breaths were sinking in my heart. The borderline was easy to cross. My mind was flying and my heart stopped whilst that, then I heard my soul whispering to me that, it happens dear, it will be like that." Taraa paused before grasping the leftover courage she owned.