Chapter 16: Stones & Hearts, A Story Of Supplication

13th June, 2019

It is God who pleases broken hearts and relieves exhausted souls.

"Our minds didn't connect. I was breathing underwater then. It was a blurry love smoked with hurt. He came in a pulse. The dream was just a scam. Yet I wondered If he ever heard my heart's echoes! Those locked me from his. I heard the whispers of the dark, that told me it's all a trick, that I shouldn't have fallen. The heartbreaks hurt less than him. From the very beginning he asked to have my heart all by himself. I said if I do give my heart to him, I would not be myself as my heart makes me who I am. But then he told me we would exchange each other's hearts. But he didn't give me his while I gave mine to him. So like I said to him, my heart made me who I am. I was selfless enough to give him all of me while he was the heartless who kept both of our hearts and crushed it with his bare hands. But my fall was a rise while his was a downfall."

"What was his name again?" Wateen slowly asked.

"Ghaith!" Taraa whispered.

"But why?" Wateen was slightly confused as to why exactly happened what happened between them.

"My dad! He didn't like the idea of a mechanical man marrying his daughter. Let alone agreeing to it." Taraa shrugged.

"So how was that his fault?" She exclaimed at her sister-in-law.

"Because he promised he would get a clerical job before time, before your brother's proposal came in. But he couldn't. His degree wasn't enough. He required experiences and internships which he lacked." Taraa looked bored and expressionless.

"Did you mind that? That he didn't have a clerical job?" Wateen furrowed her brows.

"No I didn't, of course. I didn't have demands like most girls."

"So, are you not proud that Ameen works in a fancy hospital?"

"I'm grateful and happy for him, of course. But it's something I'm used to. The status, the money, the posh life, the success, they are nothing new to me." Taraa paused, "The saying, money cannot buy happiness or moments, is a an amateur saying. What people misunderstand is the reason behind the saying Money does not buy happiness. The saying is meant for people who don't understand the importance of interaction, connection and time. When we interact or connect with one another and give or share our time with one another, a part of our character stands for empathy, compassion and selflessness. But how do we even interact, connect and invest our time in someone else? Contacting through calls, emails, media, text messaging or visiting them in person. And all of these require money. Sometimes, money is the only way. Being with someone, in a nice sandy sunny beach with a weather like magic, will not just happen. Money will be a part of it. It has to. Money does buy us happiness, not completely, but surely partly. It can even bring peace to our minds if we give and spend it in the right way with good intentions. After all, money is a blessing. And money shouldn't be our biggest concern in life. Because if we don't interact or connect, and don't invest our time in people, and try saving that amount of money for only ourselves, that's when money can never buy us happiness and peace. In today's world, money sure states us, but what we do with it, how we will to spend it, tells a lot about our character. And when people get skeptical about you trying to earn more or make more money, remember, there's nothing wrong with it. As long as you intend to do good with it. Lawfully, rightfully and justly. And don't only take, give."

"Wow, that was so beautiful. And logically so realistic. I mean, everywhere I go, I get those taboo looks from middle-class people. I respect them with all my heart. Most of my friends are middle-classed. I get judged for belonging to a wealthy family. It's not like I have asked for it. I'm sure God blesses us differently. God tests us but He also helps us. But I know my dad worked so hard for what he has now. And he deserves it. People are so judgmental. And selfish." Wateen exclaimed.