Chapter 13: A Hundred And Thousand Lives

17th April, 2019

When freedom is your weakness, imprisonment is what you become addicted to.

Birmingham, West Midlands of England

It stormed furiously, dusting his coat as he walked past the unfamiliar alleyways. He remembered being here when he was just eight. Mum and dad brought him and Taraa for a business trip. He recalled the hate and boredom he felt. If yesterday felt like a long time ago then time was mistaken.

A small smile played on his lips as the sharp rays of sun took over the dark angry clouds. He thanked for the drizzle which dripped down and when the winds started their battle, filling his lungs with the city's burnt smoke and the lingering smog from the dull and strong manufacturing houses, he cursed the pollution and those nostalgic vibes.

It was almost dawn, he knew he won't make it to the next bus stop. It would be until midnight when he would reach his destination. He realised that going undercover was such a pain. But he had to hold his patience and his plan.

The clouds and the winds threatened the sun, what did the sun have to lose anyway? It was soon to be set. He waited for the next bus for more than a while and when it finally arrived, he pulled down his cap a little more as to cover his eyes from the open and payed for the ticket. Taking a seat somewhere in the middle, he was pleased that it wasn't crowded. Though it wouldn't matter if he weren't discreet, he still couldn't risk not being. People still had deals with Adel. Even here and in parts of Europe.

He didn't like the fact that he didn't know the streets of Birmingham like how he knew of New York's and DC's. It irked him to the core, he really wasn't comfortable, heck he didn't know how long would the bus take till the docks. Till his destination.

He fell asleep the entire drive, startled by every stop or so and when his destination came to a view, he jumped out and hurried to the next stop. The next bus ride took longer and it ticked ten in the evening.

When he had finally stepped out of the bus, this time his pace became slow and sloppy. Rain poured down with all its might and the lightening didn't make him happy. He strode right through the streets into the alleyways, right away from the docks.

He spotted the exact place he was looking for. A sigh left through his lips when he saw the highlighted name and he fastened towards the pub. His pub.

The A's.

He pushed opened the classic timber door and pushed the swinging door next and halted.

It was empty. Except for the barmaid.

"Abed, is that you?"

Her thick English accent put him off, nonetheless he gave her a nod.

"Sameen!"

She paused arranging the bottles and came out from the back of the counter to greet him.

"It's been what, fours years since we last met or talked?!" She fiddled a laugh.

He shrugged and walked past her to take a seat in front of the counter. He took off his cap and tossed it on the counter allowing his messy damp hair to reveal its glory.

"Should I get you a drink?" She then asked, breaking the silence he had created.

"Yes." His deep and low tone did not give off anything good. "Whisky!"

"Scotch or Irish?" She regularly optioned.

Abed furrowed his brows, his quizzical expression confused her. "What happened to Bourbon?"