Chapter 9 - That We Could Be More than Friends

Charlie had never ridden in the front before; Dadda always told him it was unsafe. And on top of that, he had never been in a muscle car. Not that he knew what that was; he just heard dadda saying he wasn't allowed in fast cars.

Yet he was. His hand was intertwined with his long lost best friend who had the peddle to the floor, the car roaring down a long stretch of winding road that led away from the city. "Richard where are we going? Dadda's going to get worried about me."

Richard squeezed Charlie's hand reassuringly, glancing over at the boy. "Don't worry, I...I called him. He said it was okay."

Charlie knew that didn't sound like something Dadda would say, but he trusted Richard. He was his best friend, who wouldn't trust their best friend? Friends don't lie.

"Do you know what kind of car this is Charlie?" Richard asked, changing the subject on the boy who shook his head, still distracted by the shiny scull knob on the strange stick that stuck up from the middle of the car.

"It's a Chevy Camaro. Do you like fast cars Charlie?"

Charlie nodded, giggling. He liked Richards's car. It was fast and blue and Charlie loved blue. Charlie also loved Richard, so anything Richard said was okay, Charlie would go along with. "Do you want to go faster?" He whispered into the blonde's ear, soft smirk spread across his cheeks.

Charlie nodded and held onto Richards hand tighter who took a turn around the small hill and drove faster.

Once they reached the top of the hill, Richard pulled off the road, making Charlie panicked shortly, a small cry leaving his lips. "R-Richard I don't like this." Charlie told him, sniffling. He was scared and he didn't know why but Richard told him everything was alright and stopped the car at a cliff, looking over part the city.

"C'mon," He told the younger lad and climbed out of his car, dragging the small lad with him, carrying him in his arms and setting him on the hood of his 1969 Chevy Camaro SS, before climbing on himself.

The hood was warm against Charlie's skin and he liked it. The radio still played quietly in the car, even thought it was shut off, the lights out and engine resting as Richard grabbed Charlie's hips, dragging him across the hood and letting him rest on his chest.

And Charlie stayed like that, breathing in gently against Richards's skin, who was just so happy to have his best friend back, maybe something more as his heart almost busted, a full grown bird trying to escape his ribcage when Charlie began tracing his fingers along Richards abs.

"Why's your tummy all hard Richard?" He wondered curiously, pulling the dark shirt up, exposing it to the warm summer night air. "I work out sometimes. You know, lift heavy things?" The elder explained, still playing with Charlie's soft curly hair.

"How come my tummy isn't like that? I lift heavy stuff! Dadda lets me help with the groceries!" He giggled, lifting his shirt and poking his baby fat. "I can see. You're so strong; I bet you have all kinds of girls after you." Richard half joked, already knowing Charlie was the outcast.

Due to Zayn's constant screaming for him to stop calling, a few things slipped out, including that Charlie cried himself to sleep every night, asking Harry why no one wanted to be his friend, or why they didn't want to come to his birthday, or why they wouldn't play soccer with him.

Truth was, Richard was the only friend Charlie had ever had and with him gone, his life was down the drain, his fathers the only people he had left to talk to.

"Girls don't like me," Charlie sighed, dropping his arms. "Why not bub?" Richard said almost worriedly. He felt as if he was tearing Charlie down, just to pick him back up again. He had a knack for that it seemed.

"I'm a retard. That's what Tommy says. He says that my daddies don't want me and that I should die because no one loves stupid people." He choked.

Richard sighed, wrapping his arms around the young lad and pulling him onto his lap where he leaned against the windshields and gazed up at the night sky. "Don't listen to them Charlie. You're not stupid, you're the smartest boy I know." He kissed the top of Charlie's head and they just laid there for some time before Richard found himself feeling sleepy.

He checked his phone sighing. It was nearly midnight and he knew his time with Charlie was up.

He carried the boy to the passenger side door and set him in, brushing the hair out of his face and kissing his temple, the boy giving him a sleepy smile and groaning something out before closing his eyes again.

~*~

Back at the Tomlinsons residence, Zayn was half hysteric, half serial killer as he paced the front Yard.

Louis was on his phone, trying to reach his son who seemed long gone.

Harry himself cried on the ground, he didn't know why Charlie was gone but he didn't like it. "I'm going to fucking kill that disease you call your son!" Zayn screamed, nearly pulling his hair out.

What if Richard did something to Charlie? What if he got hurt? He would never forgive that boy. Yes, he was still quite fond of his nephew before, but now, he was going to kill him with his own bare hands for kidnaping his son and keeping him out till almost one in the morning.

Niall and Liam where out searching for them, but soon they gave up, pulling into their spot outside the Tomlinsons home. "We couldn't find them Zayn, I'm sorry." Liam sighed, sitting on the ground beside Harry who still cried, trying to catch his own breath.

"I don't care if you find 'them' I just want Charlie! I don't care if I ever see Richards Face again!"

Niall gave Zayn a grumpy moan. "He's still my kid you know," He told Zayn who only stared at him with almost glowing red eyes. "And he kidnapped my autistic son! He has specific needs Nialler! He has a bed time and a special diet! Your boy is probably out there getting him drunk and shoving a cigarette down his throat!" He screamed, drawing some attention from the neighboring houses who flicked there lights on and off.

"Actually, if I know my son, he's got Charlie naked and bent over the back of his car with his di-" "YOUR NOT HELPING!" He yelled at Louis who only shrugged. He seemed the least worried about the two boys, which was odd, he was usually so dramatic.

Just then, the roaring of Richards 69' came down the road, lights shining on Zayn as he pulled into the driveway.

"You little mother fucker!" He growled, ripping Richard from the car and slamming him against it. "I NEVER WANT YOU NEAR MY SON AGAIN YOU INCONSIDERATE LITTLE TWA-" "Zaynie stop!" Harry cried loudly, ripping Zayn's from pounding into Richards lucky little face.

"P-Please you're scaring me." Harry cried, burying himself in Zayn's chest. "I-I'm sorry Charming."

Just then a small groan came from inside the car and Richard ran to the other side, starting to pull call Charlie out. "Move," Zayn growled at him, taking his sons hand. "What do you think you're doing huh?" He yelled at his son.

"B-But Richard said it was okay...H-He said he asked." Charlie said innocently, tears spilling out of his eyes. Dadda never yelled at him like this before. "Liam, take Harry and Charlie inside, I need to have a talk with Richard." He told the middle aged man who took Charlie's hand, Harry soon following.

"Its Rich." He growled. "I don't fucking care what you name is! I don't want you near my son ever again!"

Richard glared at him, wanting to punch him right in the face, but Zayn toward over him, and his protective father charge would make it impossible for him to win.

"You need to stop coddling him! He wants to be a teenager and you won't let him Zayn! He's just like you were at that age, let him have friends, let him do stuff for once!"

Zayn's snapped at the boy before him. "At his age I was protecting my little brother from my rapist freak dad! Now I want you off my property and don't you dare come back! I told you, you weren't allowed to see Charlie ever again!"

With that, Richard got back in his car, starting it and pealing out of the drive, with Charlie's watery eyes watching from the bedroom window.

~*~