Chapter 6 - Heartache Doesnt Last Forever

"Will you pass the bread?" Zayn asked gently. His mother nodded and grabbed the basket, handing it across the table to her son. Zayn grabbed a piece of bread and gave it to Charlie, who smiled and took a bite wildly, giggling as he ripped into the soft dough.

"So," Zayn's mother sighed, "Tell me about...you Zayn. Tell me what I have missed,"

Zayn felt anger boiling in his stomach. She shouldn't be allowed to just walk in here and ask about his entire life. But Zayn held back his emotions, because he knew that his mother meant well.

"Well...recently, I have just been working, and taking care of Harry and Charlie," He smiled, leaning over and kissing Harry on the head. Zayn's mother smiled at him. "I work at the local university as an art teacher. It doesn't pay a huge salary, but it's enough to keep us going."

"I'm...I'm so proud of you," She breathed.

Zayn then looked to the other side of the table, where his...sisters. Waliyha, Doniya, and Safaa. They were all much like him, tan, with dark eyes and dark hair. They were also beautiful. Zayn felt slightly awkward, introducing his family to his blood relatives. Poor little Harry was having trouble grasping this concept.

"So...how did you find me?" Zayn asked, looking up to his mother, who was picking at her food-something else obviously on her mind.

"Well, actually," She smiled, "I had told Doniya about you before, and one day she came home with a children's book in her hand. She works at a daycare, and she showed me to cover. Sure enough, it was you. My beautiful baby,"

Zayn swallowed and dropped his head, trying to grasp all of this. His real family was here, his blood family. But the real question was...why were they here? What did they want after being gone for such a long time?

"What do you want?" Zayn asked, the question coming out a little harshly, Zayn's mother looked taken aback, her mouth in a tight line.

"To..to meet you...to get to know you. Zayn, you are my son,"

"And you are okay with my life? You aren't here to...judge me?" Zayn asked, feeling self conscious.

"Of course not," His mother smiled, reaching across the table and touching his hand gently, "Harry and Charlie are amazing. And you're an art teacher, nothing could be better,"

And Zayn wanted to yell at her again, because things could have been better. She missed her chance to be here and to help. She hadn't been there when Harry was raped, or when Charlie was bullied in school. She had missed everything, and she just expected to come back and to fit right in, like it had been perfect all along?

"Things could be better," Zayn said, running his hands through Harry's hair as his husband took a bite of his spaghetti.

"But things are good," His mum insisted. Zayn sighed, and stood up, grabbing the bill that had been placed on the table.

"I'll pay," He said, needing to take a breather.

He left the table, hoping his mother and sisters could watch Harry and Charlie while he headed to the front desk, pulling out his wallet and paying. After, he returned, grabbing one of Harry's hands and one of Charlie's hands.

"Why don't we get some ice cream?" Zayn suggested, "Harry and Charlie really like ice cream,"

So, the seven of them walked out of the restaurant and down the street to the ice cream shop. Zayn's blood family, who wasn't used to being stared at, all felt uncomfortable.

"Why are they staring?" Zayn's mum asked.

Zayn chuckled sickly, a deep noise resonating in the back of his throat, "Welcome to the life of having an autistic husband and an adopted autistic child. People can be cruel, but you learn to ignore them,"

"You are so strong," Zayn's mum felt tears coming to her eyes, "I'm so sorry I missed watching you grow up into the fine man you are today,"

~

"Zaynie?" Harry whispered into Zayn's neck. Zayn stirred, waking up and wiping the sleep from his eyes.

"Yes, charming?"

"Does your birth mummy like me?" Harry asked.

Zayn chuckled, "Where did you learn to call her that, Harry?"

"I came up with it on my own," Harry said, puffing out his chest in pride. Zayn chuckled and kissed his husbands pale skin, licking down to his nipple and biting gently. Harry whined, his hips bucking forward automatically.

"Of course she likes you," Zayn smiled, into Harry's skin, "She's just trying to get used to you and Charlie, remember, you are special,"

Harry smiled and nodded, kissed Zayn on the lips and then standing up, "I go to wake Charlie," He giggled, running off.

~

"I want Richard back!" Charlie screamed, running away and slamming his bedroom door violently. Zayn groaned and let his hands fall into his lap. There was just too much going on. Charlie was still upset about Richard. The boy just couldn't let go, even though it had been such a long time ago. And then there was Zayn's mother, still trying to push into his life.

Zayn had gotten to a point, where stress was becoming too much for him to handle. After years of watching his husband and his son, and making enough money to care for his family.

The stress was weighing down on him.

What he needed was a night out with Harry, just he and Harry.

Zayn picked up his phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Liam, it's Zayn. Could you watch Charlie tonight while Harry and I go out on a date?"

Maybe this was just what he needed.