42) Don't Give Up On Me

Inspired Song: Hey Lady by Thriving Ivory 

Chapter Forty Two- Don't Give Up On Me

I walked the snow covered path down the side of the road, with my hair blowing wildly in the wind. I stuffed my hands in the front pocket of my jeans, to save them from the nipping cold. My shoes shuffled across the snow as I walked silently to Will's.

I bit the inside of my lip in annoyance. How could I have been so stupid to have kissed him back? We were working out fine; just being friends. Why did I have to mess that up? No, I'm not the one who initiated the kiss, so if you think about it, this is really Will's fault.

Oh, but its mine too, I shouldn't have kissed him back; not when my heart is somewhere else. Whatever there was between Will and I died with the first bruise that surfaced upon my skin. It was foolish of me to think that rekindling what had burned helplessly could be the same once more.

I sighed as I came in sight of his house. If I had any amount of luck in my life we would be able to go back to just being friends. That is all I wanted; that was all I could handle right now.

I stepped up onto the porch and softly knocked on the door. I waited a moment for a reply before I knocked again. When I still didn't get a response, I tried the knob to see if the door was locked, it wasn't. I let myself into the old familiar worn down house. "Will?" I called softly, for I was starting to get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I, once again, heard nothing in return. Hesitantly I stepped through the hall way and into the kitchen. The light streaming through the open back door was the only source of light illuminating the room.

My eyes flickered to the table, where lying on its side was a half empty beer bottle. I stared in shock at the liquid as it dripped out onto the wooden table. My eyes shot up to Will's face as he stepped into the kitchen, from the laundry room.

His eyes were wide once he connected the dots in his mind. I shook my head as I roughly pushed one of the chairs out of my way, as I walked out the back door without looking back.

"Cassie, wait!" I heard Will shout as I tensely walked back out into the snow.  

I refused to answer him, or acknowledge his presence in life. Though when I felt his hand curl around my elbow I turned on my heel and hissed, "Don't you dare touch me."

His hand left my arm immediately as he raised his hands in surrender. "It's not what it looks like, Cas."

"It's not what it looks like?" I spat out crossing my arms over my chest, "Then what is it?"

Will's eyes suddenly scanned the area behind his house. He swallowed slowly, his Adams' apple bobbing up and down nervously.  "I, uh-...Cas it was only a little bit." He argued, running his hands through his blonde locks.

I scoffed, "Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic."

"Cassie, it's not like that. I was just-"

I shook my head, ashamed of him, before I turned and continued to walk away from him.

I heard the snow shuffle under his feet as he ran and stopped in front of me. His eyes begged for me to believe him as he grabbed my arms and shook me a little. "Cas, please. I don't want to ruin what we have. We already lost so much time because of my stupidity. I don't know if I can-"

I ripped my arms out of his hold, glaring at his beautiful eyes. "We have nothing!"

His mouth stayed open from my interruption, "But, last night and that kiss?"

I shook my head. "It was a mistake. That is what I came over to tell you. There is never going to be an us Will. I wanted to stay friends, but now...I don't even want that." I pushed my way past him, letting the wind tousle my hair around my face as I focused on nothing but the snow beneath my feet.