36) I'm Holding A Heart

Inspired Song: Holding a Heart by: Girl Named Toby 

Chapter Thirty Six- I'm Holding A Heart

"Mummy!" Lily screamed from the top of the stairs. I walked out from the kitchen and into the foyer. Lily was sitting on the top of the stairs all ready in her yellow dress. "I can't do my hair," She stated with a slight frown.

I beckoned her down to me. She ran down the stairs as I pulled out a chair for her to stand on. This was our daily routine, everyday she complained about not being able to do her hair. I fixed it into two piggy tail braids and helped her down.

"We're going to be late!" She complained.

I chuckled to myself as she reached for her tiny princess backpack. "We are not. Now come and eat breakfast."

She sighed and followed me into the kitchen, and over to the table where her toast was waiting for her.

"Daddy's coming home tomorrow right?" She asked with a mouthful of crumpled toast.

I shook my head. "Don't talk with your mouth full of food Lil, and no he is coming home two days after tomorrow."

She swallowed slowly and nodded her head as she began to gulp her orange juice. I finished placing the clean dishes in the cabinet as she ate. "You would think that you were related to Rupert, with your eating habits," I mumbled to myself.

"What Mummy?" Lily asked.

I smiled, "Nothing, now hurry up or we really are going to be late."

She giggled as she quickly ate another bite of toast and hopped down from the kitchen table's chair. She pet Timber goodbye as she passed him and skipped to the front door. I grabbed my purse and followed after her to the van.

I spent the day in the library placing the books on the shelf without actually thinking about it. I was so use to the dewy decimal system that I didn't really have to pay attention to what my hands were doing. I thought about little except for the terrifying thought that kept revolving around my mind.

As I walked out of the library for the day, I hesitantly dialed Sarah's number as I walked to the van.

She picked up on the third ring. "Hello?"

"Hey Sarah," I greeted.

"Oh, hi Cas. What's up?

"I don't really want to be a bother or anything but are you busy right now?" I asked fiddling with the zipper of my jacket nervously.

"No, I'm not doing anything right now."

"Can I maybe stop by?"

"Sure. Is something wrong?"

"Well something is definitely not right" I explained, wanting to have this conversation face to face rather than over the phone.

"Alright, come on over" She replied.

"Well, I need to go pick up Lily, and then I will be over" I explained.

She laughed, "It takes you about an hour to get over here anyway. I wasn't expecting you soon."

Despite my mood, I lightly laughed with her and bid her goodbye.

Lily hop scotched her way up to the front of Sarah's house. "Why are we seeing Mrs. Sarah?" She asked.

"Because I need to talk with her" I sighed.

"Can't you just talk to her on the phone like you do with Daddy?" She looked up at me curiously as I knocked on the door.