Chapter 36

All seemed well as the weeks passed by. Adrien attempted to go back to school and this time, made it through the day with no problem, though he was still reluctant to tell his friends anything and Sebastian didn’t ask anything else about his past. At first, he simple figured that the vampire was giving him space, but when the second week of February passed by, he grew cautious and worried.

Now it was two days before his birthday (something he didn’t look forward to) and Sebastian still hadn’t asked anything about his past. Not that he was complaining, he didn’t want to talk about it in the first place, but he was starting to grow use to the vampire’s concern and felt protected around him when talking about those three years of hell.

Adrien got out of the Shelby Cobra as Richard shut it off and gazed up at Sebastian’s study. The vampire was sitting near the window with his back facing it.

“Is he. . . okay?” Adrien asked.

Richard looked up at the window. “I’m not really sure. He’s been quiet these last few weeks since your run-in with the press. Me personally? I think he’s upset about the whole matter. He’s been trying to keep it out of the news and newspapers. It doesn’t help though that the video is still roaming around. I’ve talked to him a few times but he’s been reluctant to even tell me what’s on his mind.”

Adrien slid his bag shoulder strap off his shoulder and carried it in his hands into the house.

“Don’t let it worry you too much,” Richard said, closing the door behind them. “My younger brother will usually come around and speak his mind after he ponders for a while.”

Adrien slipped off his shoes and shuffled into the kitchen, putting his bag down on the island counter and sat upon a stool.

“Do you need help with anything?” Richard asked.

Adrien shook his head and quietly started on his math.

“Are you sure? I’m just as good at math as Sebastian is.”

Again, he shook his head.

Richard tilted his head to the side. “You like my brother, don’t you?”

“What!?” Adrien looked up, his face going white.

The older twin turned to the counter and opened the cabinet above. “You like him more than me.” He pulled down a package of Ritz crackers and opened the fridge, pulling out a block of Colby-Jack cheese. “You’re trusting him more and opening up to him.” He looked over his shoulder for a moment as he grabbed a knife, “Am I right?”

Adrien scowled and glanced out the sliding glass door. “So what if I am?”

“Why being stubborn about it?” Richard placed the crackers on a plate and started cutting slices of cheese. “It was just a question. Unless. . . . .”

The redhead narrowed his eyes, “What?”

“Unless you like him. . . .in a different way.”

His face changed to a scarlet shade. “What the hell are you talking about?”

Richard laid the snack plate near him. “I know my brother’s sexuality. As long as someone genuinely loves him, he don’t care if they’re male or female. You, I would figure that you would be straight, but you’re not are you?”

“Shut up. I don’t like him like that.” Adrien grumbled. 

Richard simply shrugged. “Whatever you say.” Then he left, leaving the flustered boy alone.

Like him?! Ridiculous! I don’t like him like that. Adrien thought. 

“Oh really?” Teddy asked.