Chapter 37

Sebastian leaned forward but doubt suddenly settled into his mind. No, he couldn’t do this to the kid. It wasn’t fair and Adrien surly couldn’t have been ready for such a thing and to force this upon him when the boy didn’t like Sebastian that way would be unforgivable.

He quickly pulled back and stepped away, embarrassed. With Adrien’s confused and sudden surprised look watching him, the vampire picked up the fresh pair of clothes and laid them on top of the washer, then swiftly fled the room without a word.

Adrien was speechless. What the hell just happened? His fingers gently touched his chin. Sebastian’s fingers were smooth and thin and his touch had been light and cold. Like a fresh snowflake in the winter. And then the small of his back, he wouldn’t admit it but it almost. . . . perfect how the vampire’s hand had easily settled there. Like it was made to be there. His cheeks became a deep scarlet as he undressed out of his pants and underwear. 

Was. . . .no that couldn’t have been but. . . .was Sebastian leaning in for a. . . .kiss? He moistened his lips again but doing so brought up the memories of those rough lips of his father. 

Hitching up the new dry pants, Adrien shook his head. He couldn’t let that man take over again, he promised Mr. Belmont he wouldn’t slip back into his old self. But the way the vampire had leaned in, the silence, they way he held him. Did Sebastian had those kind of feelings for him?

A stiff and heavy pain filled his chest. Heartbreak? Was that the pain filling him? No, that couldn’t have be. He couldn’t have been upset at the fact the vampire pulled away at the last minuet. But strangely, he was a little disappointed.

A kiss. While he was afraid it would be the same as his father’s kiss, Adrien also had a small hope that it would be twenty times better that Collin’s. A true kiss filled with love and comfort.

Would—could—he experience such a thing without fear of being tormented?

“My kisses show how much I love you.” Collin’s voice whispered raspy in his ear. Adrien whirled around, but he was alone. He let out a shaky breath. 

Stay calm, he told himself, you just have to stay calm and not think about it. 

He walked back into the kitchen, finding himself alone. Sebastian wasn’t outside in the pool anymore. Nor was he in the living room when Adrien investigated.

“He’s down in the basement.” Informed a voice.

The redhead whirled around to find Agnés leaning against the archway. The ancient vampire pointed to the basement door with his mutant arm before changing into his bat form and flew up to hang upside down upon the archway.

Adrien approached the door to the basement then hesitated. After their unexplainable moment in the laundry room, maybe it was best to give some alone time to him. With a mental nod, he turned and headed up to his room to take some along time for himself.

Closing the door, he shakily let out a breath then flopped on his bed. On the small dresser in his room was his mythical creature book. It’s black encrusted emerald cover sat in the sun. Adrien stared at it long and hard.

A birthday present from that monster, but also from his mother. His mother was a brave women, putting up with that horrible man for so long and in the end, looking out for her baby by telling him to be strong. It was never her fault that she had to leave her baby for those useless trips, or the fact that she was drunk half the time.

But if Collin had drugged her drinks, why didn’t she report him to the police? Adrien laid down in fetal position, tears threatening to fall. That bullet that gone through her head and the blood that leaked only made a puddle. Her cold death stare from her lifeless eyes; it seemed like only yesterday that she was coming home from that trip his father had canceled.