Chapter 34

At two o’ clock in the morning the rain had parted, giving Agnés the perfect view of the moon against a midnight sky. With legs crossed and a teacup of synthetic blood Richard had provided him with earlier, he quietly drank as Adrien slept. From time to time, a late night nurse would come in the check on Adrien. The first nurse told Agnés to leave but when he insisted that he needed to stay with the boy incase of horrible nightmares in a heavenly voice, she quickly gave in and informed the other staff members of his presence.

Though the door opened quietly, it caught Agnés attention. He looked over his shoulder, keeping his mutant arm hidden under his cloak.

A small lady of African origin stepped in with a small tray of warm tomato soup and a small packaged of saltine crackers. “The ladies though you could use something to eat since you have the habit of an owl.”

“Thank you, m’lady.” Agnés said with a heart-melting smile as she set the tray on the table. “That is very kind of you.”

The nurse turned to Adrien. Picking up the clipboard at the end of the bed, she made some notes on the sheet of paper before setting the clipboard back down in its original position. “So, how’s the nightmare patrol?”

Angés chuckled at her playful tone. “It’s going well. Not a single nightmare thus far. I do pity the boy though, he’s been though such a hard time.”

The nurse, nibbling on her lip and picking at her fingernails, turned to him. “Those scars on his back. . . . .Are those what you’re referring to?”

Agnés nodded, then took a sip of blood from the teacup. “Best to leave the curiosity alone, my dear. The horror this boy has been though is a nightmare that you could only dream of.”

“I doubt it.” She said before leaving.

Agnés gazed back out the window. “Oh trust me,” he said to the window, “ it is.” He glanced over at the redhead. Adrien started to tremble in his sleep.

“Hey, it’s alright. It’s not real.” Agnés spoke softly. He set the teacup down and walked over to the bedside. He ran his fingers gently over Adrien’s hair but the nightmare started to progress.

Soon Adrien was tossing back and forth. Agnés raised his right hand over Adrien’s forehead and entered his dream.

The forest had a heavy white fog hanging low. The black dead trees sounded a small clearing.  Adrien was crucified upon a black cross that stood behind a black altar. Angés held his breath as a man draped in black stepped up to the altar. A silver dagger was in the figure’s hand. Stopping before the altar, the figure raised the silver dagger and threw it at the boy. Adrien left out a weak scream as it plunged into his stomach.

“Where is the vampire!?” The figure asked.

Wearily, Adrien raised his head. Blood dripped from his lips. “Never.”

The figure stiffened. “You’ve tried my patience long enough.” Four tree root emerged from the ground behind him. “Tell me where he is or I’ll send your soul to him.

Adrien’s eyes widened but even with the dagger in him, he defiantly shook his head. With a snap of figure’s fingers, the four tree roots whipped at Adrien, smacking his wounded body. He cried out in pain, making the figure laugh. 

Agnés looked around for any signs of the dream world Sebastian. But when he didn’t show, the old vampire changed his mutant arm into a sword and shattered the nightmare.

Adrien fell to the ground. Everything around him faded into a black world. Even the dagger in his stomach had vanished. He got to his feet and dusted himself off. “This is the second time you’ve saved me.” He said, looking at Agnés. “Why?”