Chapter 25

That night, Adrien sat in front of the fire with his knees pulled in. The fire blazed with a type of crazy madness that it could only create. His stomach growled, from not having dinner but then, he wasn’t really in the mood for food. He hated himself, hated the world. He had acted like a total child in front of Mr. Belmont and Mr. Belmont’s ex-lover.

He groaned. Why couldn’t he just leave this world? Why? He picked up his mythical creature book that he had brought down with him.

Then tossed it into the fire.

“Hey!” A blur passed by the redhead towards the fireplace. Adrien looked up as Sebastian reached his hands in and saved the book before it was caught by the flames. His hands, on the other hand, quickly turned to a light ash color.

Sebastian set the book on the coffee table and blew on his hands as they healed. “Why are you tossing your book in the fire?”

“I don’t want it anymore.”

“I though you loved studying mythical creatures.”

Adrien glared at him. “I don’t care. It’s an evil book.”

Sebastian sat down next to him. “Why? What did the book do to you?”

“It reminds me of him.” Adrien whispered, staring into the flames.

Sebastian took the book into his throbbing hands and traced the gems on the cover. “Can I ask why?”

Adrien was hesitant. With untrusting eyes, he glanced up at the vampire. To tell or not to tell was the question at hand. How could he trust a monster? The honey color eyes that could lie and the tongue that could twist the truth.

Trust? Not trust?

What to do? So many lies, so many fractured trusted lines; the world spinning upon its head. This whole world was nothing but chaos! Adrien’s mind was spinning in a black hole. Every emotion was suck into the abyss, leaving nothing but an empty shell. What is a human without feelings? Without a mind or a soul?

‘Silence is golden.’ Sebastian had once said. And right now, Mr. Horn’s hold over Adrien was growing stronger because he refused to speak.

“I promised I won’t tell anyone.” Sebastian said. “It’ll stay just between you and me.”

Adrien sighed. Well, the vampire was going to find out one way or another. Besides, what would telling Mr. Belmont change what Adrien was? It wouldn’t make a difference, Adrien was and forever will be a toy. “It was a birthday present from him and my mother.”

Sebastian blinked. “A birthday present?”

“They were in NewYork, I was eight at the time. It was summer and. . . .”

“Wait, they left you alone during the summer?”

Adrien nodded. “I had a babysitter, but yeah. He always took my mother on his trips. They went to New York one summer and sent that back for my birthday.”

Sebastian gently reached out for Adrien’s left arm. The bandage was gone but the wound that had been inflicted with the knife was healing nicely, as far as Sebastian could tell. “Does it hurt still?”

Adrien shook his head, forgetting that the wound was even there. Forgetting that he had infected self harm upon himself in his derange state of mind.

“How about your back? Can I check it?”

Adrien shook his head again and slid away from him. He pulled in his knees and rested his head upon them.

Sebastian leaned against the coffee table and opened the book to a random part and ended up in the werewolf section. He pursed his lips and flipped back a few pages, landing in the section of vampires. His eyes casted down to the topic ‘Identifying vampires’ and chuckled.