Chapter 42

"Well? How does it feel?" Carline asked.

Agnés slowly moved his new prosthetic hand. The wires hidden in the skin-tone sleeve that laid three-thirds over his arm picked up the EMG single and helped him open and closed the metal hand.

"Are you sure about this Carline?" Richard asked the chestnut hair women. She gazed up with her yellow contact lenses, which gave Richard chills every time he saw them. She loved to freak people out, even her vampire friends. So for fun—and because she had a prescription for her eyes—she had different colored contact lenses. Different colors for different days of the week and today her eye color was yellow.

"Of course. Why did you think I rushed over here so quickly?"

"Because you're hopelessly in love with me?"

Carline scowled.

Agnés cleared his throat. "Madam, will this change with me when I shift into my bat form?"

"Of course, I think."

"You think?" He repeated doubtfully.

"Well, I don't know any vampires with the ability to turn into bats. I use to think that all vampire could do that, until I found out you were real and so very different from the old tales and stories."

"So, I'm your test rat?"

Carline had a rueful grin. "Sorry."

Agnés sighed. "Richard, did you give your brother a call yet?"

"I tried but I think he turned off his phone. I'm sure he's busy at the moment."

Agnés nodded in understanding. "Very well then." He slid out of bed and took a deep breath.

"It should work." Carline encouraged. "It's something that I've been working on specifically for vampires."

"And yet you don't know if it'll change with him between forms?" Richard remarked.

"It's not like there's magic involved here. How the hell am I supposed to make it change forms along with someone? It's a mechanical hand."

Petty arguments. Agnés thought. He gave his new hand another flex. He admire Carline's work. It almost felt like it was apart of him but now the moment of truth was at hand.

He silently laughed at himself for the pun. Taking a breath, he shifted forms. The black smoke compressed his body and arms. His bones shrank and thinned, and he could feel his new hand merging with his wing.

Richard and Carline watched with anticipation as the smoke swirled around Agnés and grew smaller. When it dispersed, a bat flew around their heads before roosting upon the wardrobe.

"All right! It worked!" Carline cheered. "Migrates are on me tonight!"

Agnés ignored her and flicked his eyes over at the window. A dark presence hung around the area. His ear twitched when he picked up part of a conversation.

". . . .is on his way. Yes, I'll be here watching the house incase they come home. No, I don't know. He's heading to the school right now."

Agnés dropped from his perch flew towards the window. He let out a screech at Richard and hovered around.

"What? You can't chance forms and tell me what you want?" Richard asked, going over to the window. He opened it and suddenly, Agnés flew outside.

"Are you crazy?! You'll kill yourself!" Richard yelled at him. Agnés knew this, even in bat form he couldn't protect himself from the damaging sun, but at least in this form, he had some time while the sun slowly roasted him like lava.