Twisted Pain

He was having fun. For the first time in a long time he was enjoying himself and he didn't have to think about the bad things that went on in his life. He had "zampaktuo" who was always there and never bothered him about what had happened. The "adults", no... "women" and "grandfather like figure" didn't ask him questions either. This honestly felt good.

On top of this he had a nice warm bed in which he could cocoon himself into and after that day that they let him paint the wall he had at least one bath everyday which was another kind of warm cocoon that felt nice and safe. He felt safe and as he felt safe he was able to think back to the good times a bit. The child lay on his back looking at the ceiling, boredom starting to wear away at him.

"I like this place."

"I know you like this place."

"I don't ever want to leave." There came no answer from his dragon this time but he didn't think anything of it. "I like those blocks and I like those paints as they called them. I wish I had something other then just blocks and baths."

"Ask."

"Ask for what?"

"A nice warm bath."

"How?"

"I don't know."

"Your no help."

"Well... would you like me to push you to speak?"

"No..."

"Maybe 'grandfather like figure' will come and visit again."

"That would be nice. He knew what you were too. Why?" Silence came again and the boy rolled over onto his stomach. "I like Miyako lady. She keeps me safe from..." The boy stopped short, his stomach suddenly lurching. "I don't feel so good."

"You have another fever. Don't worry. I will regulate your temperature."

"You know I don't understand what that means." The child let a deep breath. "Pain..." A flash suddenly came across his memory. There came no contorting but his hands did in fact cover his ears. This didn't though stop the memory of the beating flashing through his head clearer and clearer. "Make it go away! Make it go away! Just... please! Make that memory go away."

"I can't. I wish I could."

"Toshiro?" Miyako hurried over and scooped him up into her arms. "Please... sweetheart, calm down. You were doing so well." She began to sing but her words didn't calm her down. She rocked him back and forth.

"To-chan... come and save me. Make it stop."

"He's..." The dragon stopped short almost as if it didn't want to say something but had started off saying it.

The child didn't know how long he was crying, but he kept at it no matter how much Miyako tried giving him things that would normally calm him. It was then that he heard the person who had been in the room with Miyako when he came too. "I heard he was reacting badly and brought this."

"Nobody cares. Eventually they'll leave like granny, Momo-nee, To-chan... all of them."

"Kaien... you said to hold that off." Toshiro could feel the woman shake her head.

"I said to hold it off until we knew that we needed it. We needed it." The man walked over and he handed something to Miyako.

"Look Toshiro! It's a stuffed bear. It's a nice, soft toy." There came no response from the boy when Miyako said this.

The man then spoke. "It's something your oto-san left you."

A hiccup came from Toshiro's mouth. "To-chan..."

Miyako paused. "Yes... do you remember your oto-san."

The boy's hands reached out. "To-chan." The ohh sound came out of his mouth and he found himself clutching the bear to him. "It smells like To-chan."

"What set that off Miyako?"

"I don't know." The woman touched his forehead. "Honestly, I don't know if he has a fever because he was crying like he was or because he's sick. I'll give him something so that he'll fall asleep."

The boy choked out a sob but eventually fell into dreams. He watched as the men came towards him and he held up his arm to block the blows, but the never came. He opened his eyes to see someone standing in front of him with silver hair. He couldn't see the persons face, but he saw that the person was between him and the men. He opened his mouth to call out, but found himself suddenly snapping awake.

"Shiro-chan!"

He opened his eyes in what felt like an all to familiar memory and saw Momo leaning over him. "Momo-nee..."

"You had such a terrible fever! You wouldn't stop crying."

"Can I sleep some more."

"Momo, the boy needs his rest."

"Go ahead and sleep little one."

But Toshiro found himself unable to wake up. Taking a deep breath he found himself looking to the said. Kaien was sitting in a chair and he flinched. Instead of screaming he took his bear and moved over the edge of the bed. Miyako called out after him. "Toshiro... no... you have to remain in bed."

Instead of listening he crawled under the bed. The woman let out a sigh. "He saw you Kaien."

Toshio watched as the man came over and the bed then go down. The next thing he knew the man was staring at him. Instead of panicking he just looked at the man and stuck his thumb in his mouth. "Well... it is better then nothing."

Kaien then sat up. "He's going to be stuck on broth again?"

"No. He's going to be fine. You are such a worry wart you know."

"If you leave, he might come out from under the bed."

"Hai, hai." The man then got up, but Toshiro choose not to come out from under the bed and instead dozed off due to the stuffy warmth. When he woke up he found himself in the bed and he pulled the toy closer and watched as Miyako slept in the chair near him. He closed his eyes. "Where is To-chan?"