Fiery Pain

The fukutaicho of the thirteenth division moved with the few men who were with him through the fields. Kaien raised his hand to motion the men to stop moving and they ducked to their knees waiting for the time to move. The sound of the hollow moving made Kaien wave his hand for them to wait while he moved to take out the Hollow.

Finishing the task he turned to his men. "It's time to head back as that should be the last Hollow reported in the area." He began to walk back with them only to find one of them asking if he would come and drink with them. "No... Miyako's should be back taking a break from what she's doing in the forth division."

He waved goodbye and first headed to shower and change his uniform before heading back to check on Ukitake. The man was sitting on the cushions and looked up. "It's so good to see that you've been in a good mood since you found the boy Kaien."

"I really hadn't noticed. I will be taking me leave now sir and preparing dinner for Miyako when she gets back." Despite being exhausted he went to he division kitchens and began to cook the meal to carry back to their room, humming as he did so. He set the food down and then collapsed onto the futon. The door slid open and he looked up at her. "You look tired."

"He's making progress." The woman sat down.

"You aren't going to eat." The reply he got was Miyako moving next to him.

"Not just yet." The woman closed her eyes. "That child..." Kaien let out a sigh of frustration and went to eat his own food. "... that child's been talking to his zampaktuo.'

The fukutaicho of the thirteenth choked on the food. "Wait... I thought that he couldn't talk. What..."

"I wouldn't say he can't talk. He's just not choosing to use words. He used some blocks to show us his zampaktuo spirit yesterday, but we couldn't tell what it was. Today Unohana gave him finger paints."

Kaien's interest became perked and he leaned back against her shoulder. "Could I see his painting? Actually, why didn't you bring it for me to see?" There came a sudden laugh and he frowned. "What is so funny."

"Momo came to watch him today so I took a lunch break with Isane. She decided to get some towels and water to clean his hands and when she got back there was his zampaktuo spirit on the wall."

The young man sighed. "In other words I would have to go into the room to see it. What is his zampaktuo spirit? Or is it like Ganju's pictures of Bonnie. Actually... anything would be better then the..."

"Oh come on. Your little brother and his friend Daiji say that word all the time."

"Yeah... no." Kaien's mouth twisted up into a frown. "I see you can't say it either. Well... I can say it, but with how it's currently Ganju's current catch phrase... no. Bad thoughts come into mind."

"Actually, he's a very talented child. The dragon he painted on the wall was beautiful."

"He has a zampaktuo this early though? I mean, the only one that I know that..." The young man paused, setting his food aside while Miyako picked up hers. "Ichimaru Gin" Kaien shook his head, causing Miyako to turn her head towards him. "Silver colored hair, teal colored eyes, child geniuses that are far younger then any others."

"Kaien..."

"Do you remember a few weeks ago roughly how you asked me if I was keeping something from you."

"You told me that you would eventually tell me."

"I kind of brushed it aside because I thought it was just a coincidence, but I really shouldn't have pushed it aside. I think it was Gin-kun who left the child at our door."

"Gin-chan?" Miyako turned around. "Kaien... Gin-chan... where did you get that idea from."

"They have the same coloring, they are both geniuses and both began contacting their zampaktuo at an abnormally young age."

"Yes... but that isn't enough."

"I told you that day that Gin was in a bad mood. I took the candy from him. The amanatto I had you put with the stuffed animal. He was likely going to put it on the sill while we weren't noticing."

"But how do you know what that was for."

"I was talking to Momo-chan and she told me that the child's favorite food is amanatto."

"So?"

"His least favorite is dried persimmons."

"Uh... and this proves what."

"He knew that Momo had an infatuation with Aizen."

"She doesn't seem to have an infatuation with Aizen to me." The woman looked away then. "Let's say though that you're right about Gin and the boy. What connection do they have? Why wouldn't Gin approach us. I would have thought that he would have been able to approach us about these kinds of things."

Kaien remained silent. "The reason I pushed it aside is because of the implications it has."

"Oh come on? What implications?"

"I believe that child is his son." There came a pause of silence. "The mother would have been Matsumoto Rangiku, nii-sama's former taicho." Miyako didn't speak up like he thought she would. "I'm guessing that they gave up the baby because they were young and couldn't take care of it. He could have possibly have come forward now, but Rangiku's dead."

"I see."

"Of course. As you said this is rather far fetched, the idea that Gin and Ran had a child. I mean... little Gin and little Ran? Can we forget that we talked about this even? I mean... it is really hard to believe that is true."

"The good you made is really good. How did work go today for you."

"It went all right."

"Oh... the head captain came to see Toshiro today."

"That must have been fun for you. I mean, that child doesn't like being around adult males."

Miyako let out a chuckle. "Actually... Toshiro loved the head captain's beard and thought the candy he was given was really good."

"That's not fair! How come the old man is able to have the child not react negatively to him."

"Because he's not an adult male, he's an old man male."

Kaien let out a sigh. "Still... Toshiro is making progress?"

"Yes. Thankfully he is."