Chapter 10

Chapter 10 

-Welcome to My Home 

Braylin opens his front door and steps back waiting for Kara to enter.  She looks down the long foyer bathed in a soft glow of light.  She walks  in, he follows with her luggage setting it down just inside the door next to a hallway table.  Kara keeps walking into the living room.   

There's contemporary and abstract art full of vibrant color hanging on the walls.   A long midnight blue sofa and two complimentary grey textured chairs placed around a huge glass and metal coffee table fill the space.  She assumes the place is professionally decorated.  It looks so elegant.    

A wall of windows covers one side of the room, next to it is an elaborate stairway with contemporary railing.  The view from the windows catches her attention, she walks over to it.  “This is unbelievable.”  She mumbles to herself with a frown thinking back to the conversation they had in the car on the way over here. 

The entire time he talked and she listened.  He told her he liked his life the way it is, her coming to stay with him won’t change it.    He seemed perturbed that he was being forced into making this deal with her.  She wanted to scream at him her side of this argument, she wanted to remind him that he came after her.  

She wondered if he realized how much personal information he was telling her.  She learned what type of businesses were going into the conglomerate of buildings they are building next to her restaurant.  He told her of all the problems they are having with getting it done.  They are putting a lot of their own money into this venture unable to get the number of investors they need.   

People that trusted his father haven't extended their trust to them. This project has been in the works for nine years.  His father had just received final approval to build it when he died. 

Raymond Hurst’s reputation and connections in the building and development world were impeccable.  His sons and nephews have to prove themselves. Their are many business rivals that want them to fail. She could hear the frustration in his voice as he continued. He told her their rivals have tied them up in court for years with frivolous lawsuits over personal issues, the land, permits anything they could think of to derail the project after Mr. Hurst died.  No one thought the younger Hurst would attempt to build something so big after his death.  They have either won or had several lawsuits thrown out.  They thought they were back on track to build until they realized they didn't own Kara's land.

She can see that he desperately wants this to be a success.  She is the only impediment left to having it.  Now it’s clear she understands she will be staying at his home only as an assurance no one else can get to her.  She wonders if they drew straws to see which one of them would be stuck with her.   He said it shouldn’t take but a couple of months to work everything out. They spent the rest of the drive in silence.  She looked out the window  wondering what she was getting herself into. 

Kara expected to see the typical bachelor pad filled with black leather couches and an eighty inch TV.  Instead the couches are midnight blue made of the finest fabric money can buy.  The eighty inch TV is probably around here somewhere she's sure. 

While she has been checking out her surroundings, Braylin has taken her luggage up the stairs, he’s come back down and is now watching her from in front of the stairs. 

“I’ll show you where your bedroom is when you’re ready.”    He comments casually trying not to let it show her opinion of his home matters to him.