Chapter 24

Chapter 24

-Win, Place or Show II 

They all take off running.  The last event takes up half of the field.  There are two rows of giant human hamster balls.  Only thirteen couples are left in the competition.  After the wall climb some dropped out while others dropped out because one or both couples are claustrophobic. 

“I don’t want to do this Cameron.”  Michelle is already dizzy thinking about it. 

“It’s alright baby, we just need to walk in it to the end.”  He hugs her as they make their approach to the giant balls. 

“Can two people get into these?”  Kara ask. She didn’t know they were this big. 

“We’ll find out.”  Braylin climbs in one to look around it.  Surprisingly they are cool inside.  He comes back out.  They watch while the rest of their teammates climb into theirs testing it out.  The Monroe team and Mathew’s team are getting into theirs testing them out. 

“You alright?”  Braylin ask her they are standing on the starting line waiting for the event to start.  He touches her arm when she doesn’t answer. 

“Mm hmm, yeah.  You?”  She shyly ask. 

“Yeah, let’s just get through this.”  He caresses the small of her back she shrinks away from him. 

“You don’t want me to touch you?”  He removes his hand. 

“Are you still angry?”  Kara turns toward him to look into his eyes. 

He reaches out grabbing both of her arms gently he tugs her resistant body toward him wrapping her in a bear hug.  She refuses to look at him, he tugs on her ponytail making her look up at him.  “I was never mad at you Kara.  I’m sorry about what happened between us on Saturday.  I had no idea Mellie Monroe was your mother, it’s a shock. 

Kara never expected an apology.  All she can do is nod her head.  A moderator comes to check on them. Cameron and Michelle run back to the starting line followed by Amanda and Kevin.  Each couple gets into place.  Kara looks around the field, she just happens to catch Elise staring at her from one end and Lauren glaring at her from the other.  

The starter sounds they run to their hamster balls.  Braylin helps Kara climb inside the giant ball.  She doesn’t like it.  It feels like the walls are closing in around her she grabs ahold of his damp shirt. 

“Are you claustrophobic?”  He holds her by the arms. 

“I am now.”  She won’t let go of his shirt. 

“Kara we have to roll around in this thing.  We won’t do it if you don’t want to.”  He tells her. 

Taking a deep breath she thinks about her mother sitting in the stands waiting for her to fail. 

“Let’s do this.”  She lets him go.  He frowns seeing the different emotions that line her face.  He wants to know what made her change her mind but realizes it will have to wait. 

One of the balls bumps into them.  Braylin looks around him and the other balls are moving.  They try to match their paces moving the ball forward.  They keep getting hit knocking them around.  They can hear the echo inside the ball of the crowds yelling.  A ball is rolling fast at them, Braylin suspects it’s another attempted sabotage, he can’t see the person inside the ball clearly.   He grabs Kara around the waist startling her.  He dives with her in his arms to the side they hit the ground rolling huddled together inside the ball.