Chapter 27

Chapter 27

-Choices

The investor’s board meeting has gone on for over two hours.  There’s been nothing but arguing over who is going to take the fall for the delays of the mid-town conglomerate.  Hurst Corporation is going to lose a fortune on this deal.  The board members are distressed about their investments.  They blame the Hurst family for not securing the rights to Kara’s property, they trusted Braylin.  He ask them for another delay.  Maybe he can’t have a personal relationship with Kara but he’s willing to do whatever it takes to continue their professional one.  A few of the investors are getting anxious.  Some of the perspective tenants have pulled out.  The whispers from Monroe Industries about taking over Kara’s restaurant and owning her strip of land are getting louder. 

Without Kara around to deny the stories, the Hurst family have been put in a tough situation. 

The meeting comes to an end.  The investors have given the Hurst family until Friday to provide proof that they are new owners of the property housing Santino’s restaurant. 

Its lunch time, the Hurst men sit around Cameron’s office in silence.  They can’t fathom having to permanently shut this project down.   

“Have you heard from Detective Farrow anything Braylin?”  Aaron comments, he’s leaning against Cameron’s desk. 

“Yeah….he told me he talked to her neighbor again.  Sheffield ransacked the placed, he took some things out of her house.”  He tells them. 

“Her neighbor has to know something.  He was the last person to see her.”  Cameron questions. 

Braylin pinches the bridge between his nose and rubs his eyes.  He doesn’t want to rehash her disappearance again.   

“Bray….what is it?  He told you something didn’t he?”  Lester notices his agitated state. 

Clearing his throat Braylin sits up straight in his chair.  “He said the neighbor told him he didn’t want to get involved.  Kara told him about being attacked by Liam.  The guy was scared but he let her spend the night at his house.  She left early the next morning.”  Braylin gets up from his chair walking to the window in Cameron’s office. 

“He let her go, just like that.  There’s got to be more to it than that.”  Aaron says with skepticism.  

Cameron is staring at Braylin’s back.  “You know, I think we should get some lunch.”  Cameron can feel the tension in the room.  They are on edge about Kara and about the mid-town building. 

“Yeah, I agree.  Let’s go to Santino’s.  I don’t believe a word of what Kara’s neighbor told Farrow.”  Lester responds.  

“Amelia, what are you doing here?  I kept my end of our agreement.  I’m done.  Kara’s with Hurst now.  She’s moved on.  It’s time I do the same.”  Logan Spector stands back allowing Amelia to enter his office. 

“I know what we agreed on Logan, I need something else.  I don’t have anyone else to turn to and I think James is having me followed.”  Amelia sits down on the long sofa in his office. 

He deeply regrets allowing this viper to get her claws in him.  He became an investor in the mid-town project shortly after Kara broke off their relationship.   

Out at a well-known hotel bar drinking heavily to celebrate his good fortune in getting in on one of the most lucrative deals, his male ego was flattered when he was approached by a beautiful older woman.  She was seductive seeming to know what she wanted, he thought she wanted him.  She told him her name was Mellie Monroe.  He was drunk by the time they met he didn’t make the connection that her husband was the Hurst rival James Monroe at the time.  He had no idea she was related to the woman who had recently broke up with him.