Chapter 25

Chapter 25     

-The Hunger for Another 

Kara can’t get her things thrown in her overnight bag fast enough.  Grabbing her purse she checks for her credit cards and some cash.   

She manages to make her way down to the lobby without being seen.  It’s crowded with a lot of the guests for the clambake.  She looks around for an ATM machine spotting one in a corner.  Sliding her suitcase behind one of the sofas in a lounging area she casually walks over to the machine.   

While she’s waiting for her cash to pop out, Stassi walks through the lobby to the front desk.  Kara waits for the young woman to leave before she runs back to where she left her bag.  She pulls out the overnight bag then hurriedly makes her way to the exit door.   Her name is called she stops walking. 

“I thought it was you.  Are you leaving?”  Stassi confronts her at the sliding doors. 

“Does it matter?”  Kara walks on picking up her pace pulling the small suitcase behind her.  

“Maybe.” Stassi walks with her keeping up.  There are a group of attendants outside standing around talking.  They watch the two women coming toward them.  As soon as they get close enough one of them breaks from the group to rush over to help Kara with her bag.  “Hey beautiful, you need some help.”  He smiles placing his hand over hers holding the suitcase handle. 

“Err…ah….I need a cab.  Can you get me one?”  Kara doesn’t move his hand away.  Stassi stands to the side biting her lip and watching. 

“Yeah sure.”  The guy about the same age as them hurries off to get one of the cabs nearby for Kara.  Kara relaxes leaning on a railing behind her. 

“You think I won’t tell don’t you.”  Stassi says. 

“What’s to tell, you should be glad.  You weren’t hospitable to me at your Nana’s.  You don’t think I belong with your cousin, I agree with you.  I don’t so I’m leaving.”  Kara sees the cab coming.  She digs around in her purse looking for tip money.   

“This is going to make my cousin so mad if he doesn’t know about this.  There are things you don’t understand?”  Stassi speaks again. 

Kara doesn’t seem concerned.  “I’m not afraid of your cousin Stassi.  He’s got enough women around him.  I’m sure he won’t miss me.  Goodbye.”  Kara stands up straight as the attendant rushes back to her.  She’s generous with her tip.  He helps her into the cab, as it drives off she turns around to look behind her, Stassi is still standing there. 

Kara is determined not to cry.  She gets to the airport quickly.  She has to wait a couples of hours for the next flight.  She doesn’t want to wait in the airport.  Checking her overnight bag she looks around for someplace to eat. 

She returns with just enough time to get on her plane.  By the time she gets home it’s late night.  She has to dig around in her purse again for her keys.  She hasn’t been home in almost two months.  After she closes her front door it occurs to her she’s going to have to change the locks.  Braylin still has a key. 

It’s damp inside the house and it smells.  The water leak in the dining room ceiling has gotten worse.  Walking into her kitchen she finds there are dirty dishes in the sink, a glass sits on her kitchen counter.  She doesn’t remember leaving it there she never leaves dirty dishes in the sink.  Backing out of the kitchen she turns around quickly hearing a creaking noise.   

Rushing back to her overnight bag she grabs the handle running out the front door.  She pulls her luggage down her porch steps.  She can’t stay here.  Her own house is freaking her out.