Chapter 13

Chapter 13

-Open Wounds

Kara wakes to sunlight shining in her face blinds from her bedroom window are being pulled open.  There’s someone in her room.  No….he wouldn’t, she thinks back to last night.  Is he back to get his own shirt?  She’s lying in bed with her back facing away from the bedroom door.  Scantily dressed in panties and a t-shirt with no bra she peeks her head out from under the covers to look toward the room’s entrance.   

“Come on, I see you’re awake.  He’s already had his coffee and breakfast.  I suggest you get out of that bed before he decides to come in here and pull you out.  He asked Anzio what time you normally get up.  He didn’t like the answer.”  Millie is talking and walking around the room straightening things up. 

Relieved, Kara sits up in her bed stretching her body.  “Good morning Millie.  What are you going on about this morning?  He’s usually gone by this time.  Isn’t it after nine?”   She yawns. 

Millie doesn’t answer, something on the floor has caught her attention.  She’s bending over to pick it up when Kara quickly sits up in the bed remembering what happened between her and Braylin last night.  Her face is flushed.  She dives across the bed to look on the floor at the same time Millie rises up in front of her holding her blue bra in one hand and Braylin’s shirt in her other.

Millie raises a brow as their eyes meet. An embarrassing flush fills Kara’s face.  She sits against the headboard feeling like a teenager that’s gotten caught with a boy hiding under her bed.  Without saying a word, Millie throws Braylin’s shirt over her arm and slings Kara’s bra on top of it.  She disappears into Kara’s closet for a few seconds when she comes out Braylin’s shirt is still laying over her arm and she’s carrying a laundry bag filled with Kara’s dirty clothes. 

“Um Millie?”   Trying to suppress her embarrassment, Kara’s nails dig into the bedcovers.  “Huh…um,  the shirt stays.”  She tells her clearing her throat.  Millie stops walking to the door turns around and comes back without a word to lay the shirt on the edge of the bed.  Their eyes connect only this time Millie’s facial expression holds a quirky smirk. 

“You got about twenty minutes before he comes up those stairs I’d say.”  She tells her walking to the door turning around to give her one last look that includes a wink then she closes the door.  Kara buries her face in the pillows.  She knows the older woman is going to tell Anzio.  She thinks about what Millie said.  Why would he come into her room?  Oh Yeah, they didn’t discuss what happened at that banquet or his real girlfriend. 

Kara climbs out of the bed, picks up the shirt holding it against her chest.  She looks toward the door to make sure it’s closed before she holds the shirt up to her nose to inhale the scent still on it.  Taking it into the closet she puts it on a hanger burying it deep in the back. 

Quickly she showers throwing on fresh underwear she grabbed on her way into the bathroom.  Peeking her head out of the bathroom she looks around to make sure she’s still alone.  Making her way back to her closet she is trying to decide what clothes to put on when she hears a knock at her door.  She grabs the robe hanging on a hook hurriedly putting it on before she comes out. 

Braylin walks into her room looking handsome in his navy suit but his face looks perturbed.  One cufflink is in his mouth he’s fumbling with the other at his wrist.  She’s hoping he doesn’t bring up last night, she pulls the sash to her robe tightly around her.