Chapter 35

Chapter 35

            -For Bizu73.  Still loving that song Still Got the Blues For You and I just realized who it fits in this story.  Enjoy.

-Questioning the Past 

Amelia Monroe sits impassively waiting with her husband for the meeting to start.  She flew to Vegas on their private jet two days ago.   Her step-son Maxim called his father to make him aware that the owners of the Hurst Corporation were about to finalize another jewel to their crown of achievements.  Hurst Corporation are in Vegas to receive approval on all of the licenses needed to complete building and operating their casino, no improprieties to date have been found. 

James Monroe is not happy with this latest development, he knows Hurst Corp. is having problems with the mid-town Manhattan project because they have not yet acquired ownership of Santino’s.  Investors are deserting them fast and although he cannot prove Hurst Corp. no longer has the financing required to complete their New York development, he can insinuate and intone that there are problems with their financing.  He can allege there are payola schemes. He has come to Vegas to do just that.  He will do anything to keep Hurst investors fleeing, it will force the Hurst men to take on additional personal debt and hopefully abandon both projects giving him the opportunity to take control of them.  

Amelia convinced him that it is information the Vegas commission should be aware of.  If there are problems with their development in New York he wants to draw suspicion around their financing for the Vegas Casino.   

After discussing it with his wife, Amelia told him of her plans to file an injunction against Kara regarding the heritance of Santino’s.  Between them they schemed together to come up with a plan that now has them watching the Hurst brothers enter the room. 

James sets impassively next to an exuberant Amelia as she watches a handsomely suited Braylin walk in front of her.  Her mood changes to dismay as her eyes follow his clasped hand with the much younger version of herself. 

She spoke to Logan a few days ago, she seen pictures of him with Kara in the tabloids.  She knew there was a rift between Braylin and Kara because of those pictures.  Viewing their body language together she now concludes something seems different about them. 

Braylin stalls walking further into the room causing Kara to bump against him.  She follows his gaze seeing the woman that has caused them so much grief sitting on the other side of the room. 

“What are they doing here?”  Kara says loud enough for only the brothers and Michelle to hear. 

“I’m not sure but I don’t think it’s a good sign, Maxim has been here for a couple of months.”  Cameron explains. 

They take their seats some distance away from the Monroe’s.  None are happy that the Monroe’s have been allowed to be spectators at their proceedings.  Cameron and Braylin soon learn that more frivolous lawsuits have been filed against them and there is suspicion regarding their stability of financing due to the loss of several investors involved in their other projects. 

The commission has questions if Hurst Corp. is in over their heads.  Questions arise around the stalled construction of the Mid-town project.   

Braylin and Cameron attempt to answer the questions without admitting that Kara just verbally agreed to give them ownership as they go through the various documents they have brought with them.  Michelle leaves her seat to hand Cameron an envelope they picked up from the hotel receptionist. 

Neither Cameron nor Braylin know what’s in it.  They both assume it is more paperwork they have requested Lester send them.  A gentlemen from the commission is now speaking as they go through their papers he mentions that there is a question regarding who is the rightful owner of Santino’s to their shocked amazement.