Chapter 26

Chapter 26 

-Missteps and Mayhem 

Kara hurries off the elevator hoping Casey will be on time.  She’s been here for more than a week.  She needs fresh clothes and some comfortable shoes.  She wants to wash her hair with her own shampoo for a change.  She’s also tired of being stuck in her room without someone to talk to.   

As she strolls through the boutique hotel lobby she can feel a pair of eyes following her.  The young male receptionist has been ogling her since she got here.  Normally she would be able to shake it off.  She’s used to men leering at her but under the circumstances she feels especially uncomfortable. 

Liam is still out there somewhere he has to know that she found out he was staying in her house.  The police recommended she stay with family or friends until he’s captured.  That was the extent of their commitment to protect and serve.  She has to fend for herself.   She’s sure his mother and father are helping him.  Unfortunately she doesn’t have a family option in her plan.  She needs to be cautious.  Casey is the only person that knows the Sheffield family. She hopes she has put her trust in the right person.  

“Where is he?”  Kara is standing at a window in the lobby looking out for him.  Her mind wonders she clicks on her cell phone staring at the last message sent from Braylin.  It’s angry and pleading at the same time, so like him to be such a contradiction. 

If you want to tell me to go to hell, at least say it to my face.  Don’t shut me out, call me.  ~Braylin 

“Kara, over here.”  Casey comes in through a side entrance carrying a suitcase and several bagged items.  She hurries over to greet him. 

He sets the bags down in a chair and the suitcase beside him to hug her.  Neither is paying attention to the increased pairs of eyes watching them. 

“What took you so long?”  Kara picks up a couple of the bags, Casey grabs the others and the suitcase.  They take the elevator up to her room. 

“Why didn’t you call me sooner?”  He’s perturbed, they are dumping everything on the bed Kara unzips the suitcase. 

“I’m sorry I didn’t know what to do.  You’re the only one that can understand what I’m going through.  You know what the Sheffield’s are like.  Casey he was staying at my house.  Can you believe that?  He had the gall to…..”  She plops down on the bed in front of the suitcase, shaking all over.  “I’m sorry….it’s just that…..”  

“Kara it’s alright.”  Casey sits on the bed next to her holding her hand.  “Don’t worry about it, we’ll figure something out till he gets caught but baby doll you’ve got to get it together.  Where’d you get the money to stay in a place like this anyway?  Am I getting paid at the restaurant this weekend?”   He rubs his hand across the fine silk duvet they are sitting on. 

“It is nice isn’t it? I’ve already been here over a week.  This room is paid for through another week.  My neighbor, Mr. Anderson.  He’s a manager here.  He got me this room for a couple of weeks.  I gave him some of my father’s watch collection in exchange.  He always admired them.  I didn’t want to but I had no choice.  Liam ransacked my house.   I’m surprised he didn’t find them or maybe he did and didn’t know their value.  I think he was wearing some of my father’s clothes." 

“Oh Kara, I’m so sorry.  I know you talked about his watch collection all the time.  Maybe when this is all over your neighbor will sell them back to you.  He has to know the sentimental meaning they have.”  Casey tries to comfort her.