Chapter 15: Drunkness At Parties

Whoever controls the earth, God, Satan, any number of random gods from different religion and stories, it doesn't matter, because right now, whoever it is is probably laughing their head off. And I hate them for it.

Oh the irony of life. Or whatever you want to call it. I tried to text Carson again, he only answered with 'Stop' but whether that was referencing the texting or something else is beyond me. I had exactly one text from Betsi saying:

thx 4 the shirt g2g 2 dinner with dad's boss, srry im leaving u hanging

In reply to my question about the movies later. I also had a rather rambling phone call from Cole;

"Hey Scar, I mean, Scarlet, I dunno if you know what I should refer to you as now... I'm calling because I feel bad about yesterday and, well, you know, what almost happened, I, um, was wondering if maybe you, uh, wanted to hang out or something, tonight or maybe even this weekend. It is Friday and all... I promise nothing awkward or anything but, ya know, if you don't already have plans or something... Call me?"

It might've been cute if it wasn't so damn frustrating. There's always the possibility that I call him and say yes later this weekend. I also had another unknown text saying 'seen the bitchionary, bitch? cuz every word wuz true' it's a good guess that was Diane. And then I had the handwritten note from Noah reading:

If you need my number for the project, here it is:

And then his number. Which I'd already programmed into my phone. Just in case.

So here I was, at home, on a Friday night with no plans. Wow. Once upon a time I had so many plans that I went to three different parties on Friday nights. I was still invited everywhere, of course, despite the lies of the bitchionairy, but I can't say I was inclined to go without my best friend with me.

Actually, I can't say I was inclined to go to any party, not after the disaster that the last one had been. I can't say I was looking forward to a night at home by myself either. I sighed. When had my life started doing backflips, leaving me dizzily wandering around like I was drunk?

__________________________________

Officially deciding that I didn't want to be alone tonight, walled up in my room, I knocked on Nate's door. "Come in!" he called. I went in. "What's up?" he asked, turning off his iPod.

"Are you going to a party tonight?" I asked, he looked puzzled.

"Yeeeeeees," he said, drawing the word out. "why?"

"Will you take me with you?" I asked bluntly, both answering and avoiding his question. Simultaneously!

"Uh..."

"What?" I asked, rather impatiently.

"Fine." Nate said, breaking.

"Wait," I said, stopping, "who's party is it?" realizing that I might not know anyone there. He laughed at me.

"Don't worry sis," he said, leaving me wondering if he'd somehow read my thoughts. "Most of the high school is going."

"Ok," I said, breathing a sigh of relief. "When do you wanna go?" Nate consulted his watch.

"I'm leaving in an hour but you could always drive there yourself."

"I'll go with you, who else will drive you home when you get drunk?" I joked, closing the door behind me, I heard his laugh and felt better. Maybe the world isn't entirely evil if I can still make my brother laugh.