Chapter 18: The Auction

***Scarlet's P.O.V.***

It was Friday, the day of the Auction. (At least that's what it said on all of the posters.) Girls were reapplying lip gloss, teachers were running from here to there to make sure everything was in order, and the boys couldn't be happier.

I, on the other hand, was miserable. Last night, Betsi talked to me until 12:30 on the phone, about how she would kill to have Devin bid on her. Then, right before she hung up she said, "Do you think Carson or Cole will bid on you?" which kept me up until 3:40, trying to come up with the worst and the best scenarios. Both were awful.

I was walking to Betsi's locker as the worst and the best scenarios flashed in my head then I abruptly stopped. I heard the laughter before I could see who it was coming from. 

"So is that a yes?" says a very familiar voice.

Another voice laughed, "That is definitely a yes." 

It took me a second to realize who they were, but I didn't need to because they bumped right into me.

"Watch wh- Oh, hey Scar." said Betsi.

"Hi." I said meekly.

Devin stood there uncomfortably, then decided to make a hasty exit. "Well, don't want to be late for French. Bye Betsi." Then he said quietly to me, "Thank you, Scarlet."

I gave Devin a quick nod, then dragged Betsi to her locker, "Tell me EVERYTHING." And Betsi did, turns out, Betsi caught Devin this morning, trying to put a love note in her locker. Then they talked and they found out how they share the same interests, and how they're going to a show next week.

When she was finished, she hugged me and said, "Thank you for being my wing-woman." 

I blushed and hugged her back, "Hey, what are best friends for, right?"

Then, Bianca Bellson came up to us and said, "Hey Betsi! Hey Scarlet! You guys are in the auction, right?"

We nodded.

"That's great, I nee-" She suddenly turned slightly green and held her hand over her mouth. I rushed to her side.

"Bianca, are you okay?" I asked, while eyeing Betsi to go get the nurse.

"I'm fine." She said not so reassuringly, "It's nothin-," then puked all over the floor, and fainted in my hands. 

Betsi and I looked at each other and nodded. She took the legs while I took her arms and we half-carried, half-dragged her to the nurse. Apparently Biance snuck out of her house when she was sick to participate in the auction, wow, I've never heard of someone trying to sneak into the school. Bianca was sent back to her house by the nurse and the janitor.

"So, the auction. Have you thought about what I said?" Betsi asked me when she and I were walking back to our class.

"Oh you mean what I'm going to do if Carson or Cole gets a date with me? No, not at all." I replied with full sarcasm.

She chuckled softly at my answer said brightly. "Well, at least then you'll know if Carson likes you or not."

"Yep, can't wait to find out." I muttered. I was terrified.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Students and faculty members, welcome to this year's fundraiser."

Ms. Mason's voice was heard loud and clear in the auditorium.

"I would first like to thank our lovely ladies who volunteered to participate in this auction." She gestured to the 19 of us standing on the stage. "Let's have a round of applause for them." And the whole auditorium erupted in applause. I saw Carson and my brother in the front of the room and gave them a little smile. Then I located Noah standing uncomfortably in the back of the room by the doors and gave him a little wave, to which he replied with a smile and wave. I then spotted Cole looking at me and turned away to avoid his eyes.